Can anyone explain to me this Orgo question?

Started by sinned
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sinned

slaving in dental school
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the following reaction is allowed to go to completion, what will the dominant product be?

DAT000085img01.gif


Your Answer: 2−bromo−2−mehtylbutane
Correct Answer: 2−bromo−3−methylbutane

I thought this undergoes markovnikov addition and the Br would to the most substituted carbon, and the H goes to the least substituted, but the Kaplan ("Correct Answer") answer says otherwise...
 
I agree that it should be Markovnikov addition of HBr to the alkene. Assuming that the reaction conditions are standard (i.e. the reaction is not in peroxide solution, no free radicals, etc.) then I would say that you marked the correct question. Kaplan is not the be-all-of-end-all and they are prone to mistakes.
 
glad your backing me up on this answer, because im just the type that will lose sleep over something if i dont get it absolutely correct...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys!
I am so sorry for taking your time because I know that most you you(including me) studying for the DAT, but i have a question.

I planing on taking DAT at the end of August when should i call and make an appointment?
Also, should I apply to schools, even if I am not took the DAT yet?

Do you guys think that schools like when people trying to apply to their schools many times so it shows them that you are intreresting?

How many times I can apply to schools?

Finally, i am really really scared of DAT, my GPA only 2.8 but I am strongly confident in myself and i sincerely know that I will be a better doctor then some peopel who really books smart. I knew some peoplewho got in Med and Dental schools but they not meant to be doctors!( NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE!! please EXscuse me if I Ofended ANYONE)!!!
WILL BE glad to hear replys, Sincerely, R.
 
Hi Regi

Yes, you can apply before taking the DAT. You don't submit your scores to AADSAS anyway. As far as I know you can apply to as many schools, as often as you would like, as long as your sanity and wallet can take it. Your gpa is a bit low, though with a good DAT score you might have a chance at some schools. If you would like additional feedback then I would suggest creating a new thread in the Pre-Dental forum. Best of luck!