Can anyone recommend a good online personal statement editing service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have finished my essay but I think its missing something.........writting has never been my strong suit. There are a lot of these services on the web but has anyone tried or heard of one that is really good? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hey fellow texan,
EssayEdge is by the far the most reputable site on the web. I am goin' to use it this year as well. There is even a discount code, let me know if it works.
COde- 1018119302

Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have good pre-med advisors at your ugrad, you could ask them. I had mine read my essays and secondaries. I never used one of those for money deals though.

My premed advisor already went over mine 9a couple of times actually) but when it comes down to it I don't really trust her that much. She doesn't seem like she really knows what she is doing. Its pretty sad because I'm sure it could help a lot if you did have a really good one.

i thought essay edge was pretty good -- not GREAT but worth the money if you have it. by the time essay edge finished with it as well as my parents, boyfriend, and friend,.my pre-med advisor said it was first rate. she definitely would not have said that if i hadn't used esay edge.

thanks longhorn, the coupon code 1018119302 does work!

Out of curiousity, how much does it cost? Also, is it pure editing or do they make attempts to approve the content as well as the grammer? Thanks!

My editor didn't change any of the content. But he had a way of making my essay more focused and more fluid. I would suggest that you let them edit a shorter essay (around 20 dollars for a 250-word essay and around 50 dollars for a 900-word essay). If you like them, great. If not, you only lose 20 or 50 bucks, a relatively small amount of money compared to the exorbitant secondary fees.

I also used essayedge and agree with the statement that they will not really change your content, but will help to better focus it.

At the same time, essayedge is not a miracle editing service. In fact, my editor made several grammar mistakes (not huge, but definitely there). So they will help, but it's not a matter of "turn it into essayedge and it will be good to go".

Also your mileage will vary depending on the editor...overall I would say it's worth it for the 50 bucks (especially if you consider the total cost of applying).

It was definitly worth it for me. My editor offered so many suggestions that improved my essay greatly. I don't know if all the editors are as good but I think its worth a shot!

Essayedge supports SDN, so they get my vote. Please, be sure to tell them you saw their ad here! :)

Originally posted by Lee A Burnett
Essayedge supports SDN, so they get my vote. Please, be sure to tell them you saw their ad here! :)

That's exactly what I did. Gotta support my favorite site! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm new here, and I'm thinking of giving Essayedge a try. Could anyone tell me how useful the service is. Thanks in advance.

I am happy to help with essays if people want the assistance. Just PM me the essay, and leave a post on a thread I've posted on already saying that you did so.

Getting someone else to write your essays? Even if it's just "smoothing it out", you're still presenting someone else's work as you own.

Does that not raise any moral concerns? :rolleyes:

SDN supporter status notwithstanding, why would you use something like that when *most* people have an entire university to use-- for FREE? (well, you pay tuition and such so maybe for "no added fee" is more appropritate, lol) English department, anyone? an essay is an essay, and it doesn't take "special" knowledge of the application process to know what a good essay should sound like. Surely in all those pre-med classes and pre-reqs for graduation you've met at least one English or Literature professor that would do at least as good of a job as the online $$$ services.

the online services prey on pre-med students' fear that everything has to be done perfectly, that they need an edge, that you're *supposed* to have everything done professionally or you won't get accepted. does no one else laugh when they read the banner adds that read "will your essay be DOA?" and "will your essay bore the admissions officers?" c'mon people, have a little faith in yourselves :) i'd be more concerned with boring them at the interview than your essay, it by far holds more weight.

Several people on SDN recently reviewed my essay and provided very good feedback. Cost $0. I've spent enough already and the meter is running with interviews upcoming.

Thanks again to my reviewers.

I am happy to help with essays if people want the assistance. Just PM me the essay, and leave a post on a thread I've posted on already saying that you did so.

Thanks UMass Rower for offering to help with essays. I was hoping you might be able to help me.

Did you really just revive a 6year old thread? The author you're referring to may or may not still be active...if he isn't, feel free to reach out to me if you'd like me to read something before school starts.

This kind of crap is for people who don't have the balls to write their own life story, or lack the confidence to present a sincere side of them. I think that essay editing services are fine, inasmuch they give you criticism of whether your themes and transitions work well. What I am totally against is paying a couple of lawyers to write your PS for you, by granting them a 5 hour interview in which they ask you about your whole life. If I knew anybody using such a service, I would not hesitate to loudly and explicitly let them know that they are full of bull****.

Haha, yeah I just realized this is an old thread. Wow. Thanks you ******* , happycow.

Haha, yeah I just realized this is an old thread. Wow. Thanks you ******* , happycow.

I don't think he's asking for anyone to write part of his PS for him, just to criticize and edit but...rofl :p