Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Can anyone recommend a good online personal statement editing service?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TexasGirl, Jun 27, 2002.

1. TexasGirl

TexasGirl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have finished my essay but I think its missing something.........writting has never been my strong suit. There are a lot of these services on the web but has anyone tried or heard of one that is really good? Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bruinkid

bruinkid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ESSAYEDGE.COM!

4. longhorn

longhorn Membership Revoked
    Removed

hey fellow texan,
    EssayEdge is by the far the most reputable site on the web. I am goin' to use it this year as well. There is even a discount code, let me know if it works.
    COde- 1018119302

Hope that helps

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have good pre-med advisors at your ugrad, you could ask them. I had mine read my essays and secondaries. I never used one of those for money deals though.

6. TexasGirl

TexasGirl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

My premed advisor already went over mine 9a couple of times actually) but when it comes down to it I don't really trust her that much. She doesn't seem like she really knows what she is doing. Its pretty sad because I'm sure it could help a lot if you did have a really good one.

7. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i thought essay edge was pretty good -- not GREAT but worth the money if you have it. by the time essay edge finished with it as well as my parents, boyfriend, and friend,.my pre-med advisor said it was first rate. she definitely would not have said that if i hadn't used esay edge.

8. sensitivity

sensitivity New Member

thanks longhorn, the coupon code 1018119302 does work!

9. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Out of curiousity, how much does it cost? Also, is it pure editing or do they make attempts to approve the content as well as the grammer? Thanks!

10. sensitivity

sensitivity New Member

My editor didn't change any of the content. But he had a way of making my essay more focused and more fluid. I would suggest that you let them edit a shorter essay (around 20 dollars for a 250-word essay and around 50 dollars for a 900-word essay). If you like them, great. If not, you only lose 20 or 50 bucks, a relatively small amount of money compared to the exorbitant secondary fees.

11. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng
    7+ Year Member

I also used essayedge and agree with the statement that they will not really change your content, but will help to better focus it.

At the same time, essayedge is not a miracle editing service. In fact, my editor made several grammar mistakes (not huge, but definitely there). So they will help, but it's not a matter of "turn it into essayedge and it will be good to go".

Also your mileage will vary depending on the editor...overall I would say it's worth it for the 50 bucks (especially if you consider the total cost of applying).

12. TexasGirl

TexasGirl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

It was definitly worth it for me. My editor offered so many suggestions that improved my essay greatly. I don't know if all the editors are as good but I think its worth a shot!

13. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Essayedge supports SDN, so they get my vote. Please, be sure to tell them you saw their ad here! :)

14. Lavndrrose

Lavndrrose Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's exactly what I did. Gotta support my favorite site! :D

15. newbie now

newbie now New Member

I'm new here, and I'm thinking of giving Essayedge a try. Could anyone tell me how useful the service is. Thanks in advance.

16. umass rower

umass rower Insert clever phrase here
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I am happy to help with essays if people want the assistance. Just PM me the essay, and leave a post on a thread I've posted on already saying that you did so.

17. 28129

28129 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Getting someone else to write your essays? Even if it's just "smoothing it out", you're still presenting someone else's work as you own.

Does that not raise any moral concerns? :rolleyes:

18. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SDN supporter status notwithstanding, why would you use something like that when *most* people have an entire university to use-- for FREE? (well, you pay tuition and such so maybe for "no added fee" is more appropritate, lol) English department, anyone? an essay is an essay, and it doesn't take "special" knowledge of the application process to know what a good essay should sound like. Surely in all those pre-med classes and pre-reqs for graduation you've met at least one English or Literature professor that would do at least as good of a job as the online $$$ services.

the online services prey on pre-med students' fear that everything has to be done perfectly, that they need an edge, that you're *supposed* to have everything done professionally or you won't get accepted. does no one else laugh when they read the banner adds that read "will your essay be DOA?" and "will your essay bore the admissions officers?" c'mon people, have a little faith in yourselves :) i'd be more concerned with boring them at the interview than your essay, it by far holds more weight.

19. OrthoFixation

OrthoFixation 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Several people on SDN recently reviewed my essay and provided very good feedback. Cost $0. I've spent enough already and the meter is running with interviews upcoming.

Thanks again to my reviewers.

20. happycow01

Medical Student
    Thanks UMass Rower for offering to help with essays. I was hoping you might be able to help me.

21. ensuii

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did you really just revive a 6year old thread? The author you're referring to may or may not still be active...if he isn't, feel free to reach out to me if you'd like me to read something before school starts.

22. Food

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This kind of crap is for people who don't have the balls to write their own life story, or lack the confidence to present a sincere side of them. I think that essay editing services are fine, inasmuch they give you criticism of whether your themes and transitions work well. What I am totally against is paying a couple of lawyers to write your PS for you, by granting them a 5 hour interview in which they ask you about your whole life. If I knew anybody using such a service, I would not hesitate to loudly and explicitly let them know that they are full of bull****.

23. Food

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha, yeah I just realized this is an old thread. Wow. Thanks you ******* , happycow.

24. ensuii

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think he's asking for anyone to write part of his PS for him, just to criticize and edit but...rofl :p