Can anyone recommend good Pre-Med Academic books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chantal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my Pre-med courses at URI in the Fall and have time now to get a head start in all scientific subjects... I'm moving to the US from France so I don't really know which books are the most efficient and which to avoid spending money on....I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be working their way through schoo! ;) So I thought I could pick your brilliant medical minds on how to get started.

Can't wait to hear from you

Chantal

Members don't see this ad.

I would check online to see what books you'll be using for your courses in the fall and get those first. You should be concentrating on getting good grades for your classes, not just studying for the MCATS. what classes will you be taking in the fall?

I grafuated in 2005 and have spent a year and a half studying Political Science and Philosophy at La Sorbone in Paris. So basically now, I'm just waiting to move to RI in April and work like a dog to save up until school starts in September! So I figured I could afford to work on some Chemistry, Biology, Math etc while I'm waiting...I tried looking many times on the URI website and I couldn't find their booklist... Do you know if the Shaum's are any good? (not sure about the spelling). I really appreciate your help!

Chantal

PS: I'll be majoring in Psychology and taking all the Pre-Med requirements as well.

hi Chantal! I think a quick way to find out would be to ask the professors of the Premed classes what books they like. They had the entertaining task mdr of choosing a book for their class from among 10-15 choices, so I bet they have a good idea of what is available out there.

although, from browsing through the Shaum's book I think they are very thorough, so that's a good book I think. However, it's just my opinion but if you want to learn it really well I think an actual science textbook would be better instead of a "summary+outline" book like Shaum's. If you are learning these things from the beginning it may be a bit difficult if you need to ask questions... there will be no explanatory material because the book is so summarized.

here's a list of the books I used:

Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnik, Walker, 7th Edition

Biology 7th Ed by Campbell and Reece

Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity 6th Edition, by Kotz, Treichel, and
Weaver.

Organic Chemistry by Leroy G Wade
http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-5th-Leroy-Wade/dp/013033832X

et c'est juste mon opinion mais j'ai lu des manuels français pour la biologie et je pense qu'ils sont bien meilleurs que les manuels américains :) ils sont exhaustifssssss!! merci de ne pas me lapider si vous n'êtes pas d'accord :D

Members don't see this ad :)
...I'll check out those books AND get in touch with a URI Premed advisor.

Mais tu parles Francais! C'est trop genial! Tu es d'ou? Je pourrais acheter des livres ici, a Paris, mais est-ce que tu penses que c'est une bonne idee de commencer a apprendre les bases scientifiques avec des termes Francais? Je suis bilingue, donc je traduis assez bien assez rapidement, mais pour ce qui est de traduire des textes scientifiques, je suis un peu moins douee... lol

je suis un canadien et je fais mes etudes ici aux EU :)

oui j'suis d'accord avec vous. c'est d'ors et déjà assez de travail d'apprendre les cours "premed" dès le départ - je sais ca parce ke je l'ai fait moi-même :D donc faut pas se donner plus de travail avec les traductions français-anglais. comme vous avez déjà dit il vaut mieux que vous achètiez les livres americains.

à très bientôt