Can anyone tell me anything about Charles Drew psych program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find anything about this and their website is limited. Would love any advice and/or information about this program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What specifically do you want to know about it? I'm not familiar with it, but just wanted to make sure you saw their whole website. Its a program affiliated with UCLA with a heavy underserved and community-based focus. They rotate primarily through Kedren Community Health Center, which contains 66 psychiatric beds (49 adult and 17 child). You will also rotate briefly through Harbor-UCLA and a neuro/rehab facility.

There's info on how to apply, the specific rotation schedules/requirements, and some staff info on Graduate Medical Education | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. They also have a Facebook page with the occasional mention of things their residents are doing at Charles R. Drew University Psychiatry Residency Program. There is also an affiliated FM program.

This is what I found with quick googling, but you'll probably need to actually contact the program and ask for resident contact info to get real info on the inner workings of the program. The program is still under Initial Accreditation and just started in 2017, so its pretty new and likely in flux. There's not going to be all that much on it.

Also curious...got an interview here yesterday. Anyone know about hours, call, malignancy? Is this good training?

Members don't see this ad :)
So it looks like they have had a PGY-I class for a little over 3 months so far. This could be a gem, or this could be a disaster. Odds are it will be some of both during growing pains but there are advantages and disadvantages to being somewhere where you can participate in creating something. I believe in never wasting a crisis, and there will be some so I suggest going and looking. With an open mind, this could offer opportunities, but the book clearly isn't out yet if you are risk avoidant. You could try and contact a resident there, but they will only be able to tell you how the first two rotations were. At the end of 4 years, this will allow you to be ABPN board certified and that will let you get a good job. As medical schools grow, any expansion in the number of programs is a good thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Same uncertainty for me and the Olive View UCLA program. Haven’t done my due diligence yet in terms of researching it, but if anyone has some quick thoughts or is familiar with it that’d be great

Same uncertainty for me and the Olive View UCLA program. Haven’t done my due diligence yet in terms of researching it, but if anyone has some quick thoughts or is familiar with it that’d be great

Olive View is not a new program. They split from the VA that’s why they needed a new accreditation but it’s basically the same thing, except they do outpt rotations elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Olive View is not a new program. They split from the VA that’s why they needed a new accreditation but it’s basically the same thing, except they do outpt rotations elsewhere.
So does that mean we should look at the SFV/VA program for information about how olive view might be like?

So does that mean we should look at the SFV/VA program for information about how olive view might be like?

They both have a website. Basically instead of anything at the VA the residents are at Olive View. This program retained the UCLA SFV PD (and some of the residents).

The other program is the Greater LA VA psych. The rotations are like 80% VA including what appears to be nearly all VA out patient. Some of the UCLA SFV residents are here as well.

I wonder how they made the kids pick either mommy or daddy in the divorce...

The program before the split seemed more balanced in terms of exposure but now as separate entities they skew heavily in either direction (VA experience vs county hospital both with a sprinkle of UCLA thrown in for flavor). But maybe that's a good thing for certain people.

As ppl have put together here, there are now a lot of programs in the LA area.
UCLA-NPI
Greater LA VA
Drew
Olive View
Harbor

From what I can update as a member of the UCLA vol clinical faculty, NPI is unchanged aside from a turnover of the residency director and associate residency directors (all great people). I think GLA VA is going to develop into something very very good with Margi Stuber running it. Don't know much about Drew though they're recruiting faculty, anecdotally. Olive View I believe will be changing residency directors if they haven't already (per the rumors). I think the fresh blood throughout will overall change things for the better, but as alluded to with some of the new programs there are a lot of unknowns.

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA-NPI
Greater LA VA
Drew
Olive View
Harbor

From what I can update as a member of the UCLA vol clinical faculty, NPI is unchanged aside from a turnover of the residency director and associate residency directors (all great people). I think GLA VA is going to develop into something very very good with Margi Stuber running it. Don't know much about Drew though they're recruiting faculty, anecdotally. Olive View I believe will be changing residency directors if they haven't already (per the rumors). I think the fresh blood throughout will overall change things for the better, but as alluded to with some of the new programs there are a lot of unknowns.

Great to hear about GLA VA... really hoping to get an interview here but not looking good.

I'm very fortunate to have 15+ Interviews (especially as a DO) but unfortunately Drew is the only one in socal (home for me). I've got interviews at some really good quality programs too... Would it be silly of me to consider a brand new program like Drew over other well established programs?

Here to clear up some misconceptions about Olive View-UCLA properly.

Yes. The VA was becoming overwhelming and attempting to dominate the clinical experiences of the residency program, putting the program in a situation to have to either choose VA and throw away other clinical experiences or leave entirely. The residency program has a wonderful history of caring for its residents and offering fantastic training. The leadership has been in place for many many years. Leadership refused to bend to VA and confidently left. Yes, change is scary, but the split was because the leadership cared about its residents enough to not let the VA bully them into watering down the clinical training.

The residents were ALL given a choice regarding what they wanted to do. Nobody was forced to go one way or another. ~75% of the residents chose to go to Olive View-UCLA instead of the heavy VA-focused other. Again, no resident was forced to do anything, even though yes it was uncomfortable for everyone. Change is never what a residency applicant wants to hear about, but there was always guaranteed security. The VA was the one that forced the split, and the leadership and residents did a phenomenal job transitioning. There’s a sincere passion and maturity that exists in the Olive View Psych community that would be difficult to find elsewhere.

They both have a website. Basically instead of anything at the VA the residents are at Olive View. This program retained the UCLA SFV PD (and some of the residents).

The other program is the Greater LA VA psych. The rotations are like 80% VA including what appears to be nearly all VA out patient. Some of the UCLA SFV residents are here as well.

I wonder how they made the kids pick either mommy or daddy in the divorce...

The program before the split seemed more balanced in terms of exposure but now as separate entities they skew heavily in either direction (VA experience vs county hospital both with a sprinkle of UCLA thrown in for flavor). But maybe that's a good thing for certain people.

The OV-UCLA program has Olive View and NPI for rotations every year. How often can a residency program expose residents substantially to both the poorest and the richest in society? True there is no VA, but most residents wouldn’t ask for VA. If you want VA, don’t go to Olive View. The VA in LA is generally not something you want to be under the power of.

UCLA-NPI
Greater LA VA
Drew
Olive View
Harbor

The program director of SFV and OV psych is a wonderful dinosaur who has been a PD for 40+ years. Time to retire. The PD extended his PD role to ensure OV UCLA would succeed maximally from the very beginning. And it has.

Greater LA VA and Olive View split mid-academic year. Applicants had already spent time and money interviewing at SFV-UCLA. Residents were abruptly split between either the VA or Olive View. That's an enormous RED FLAG and applicants should ask about program stability. I would ask why they split? Greater LA VA has 4 months of psych ER, which is significantly more than most programs. Greater LA VA is notoriously understaffed and suffers from faculty turnover.

It was very unfortunate, and it’s understandable how it could be perceived as a “red flag”; however, it was not in the control of the SFV psych program. The VA was pushing hard, and things came to a head when they did. The OV program had been a viable idea and doable plan for some time, and things escalated quickly and unexpectedly that made it all have to happen very quickly. The best things often happen unexpectedly. The OV program is already extremely strong, as it retained the majority of its prior relationships and resources, remains strongly UCLA-affiliated and has more freedom than ever now that it doesn’t have to abide by VA rules.

All the UCLA programs are good. UCLA wouldn’t allow a program to exist with its own name if it couldn’t guarantee quality. The OV program was birthed out of adversity and maintains its legacy. “Reputation” takes a while to build, but the reality is that it’s stable and high quality right now, whether people have heard much yet or not. Find the program that meets your goals and mission. OV UCLA gives county and NPI training. NPI UCLA is also outstanding and offers VA and NPI training (no county). Greater LA VA UCLA offers VA and NPI as well. Harbor UCLA is entirely county. All have outstanding clinical supervision and teaching from UCLA faculty. Regardless of what happens in residency, your program should take care of you, and these programs will all care for their residents to the highest degree.

Last edited:
I visited their site to check what the program is about, and it seems they are hell bent on making you an INNOVATION if you go there. :shrug:

Here to clear up some misconceptions about Olive View-UCLA properly.

The program director of SFV and OV psych is a wonderful dinosaur who has been a PD for 40+ years. Time to retire.

OMG, I think I know him. Maybe it is time for me to go as well. He is a very good guy with resident's interest close to his heart. Do consider this program as well entrusted to seasoned educators who know how to do this well. He has done this a very long time and is respected. Like anyone effectual I'm sure he has enemies, but he isn't obsolete. I hear they produce quality physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
All the UCLA programs are good. UCLA wouldn’t allow a program to exist with its own name if it couldn’t guarantee quality. The OV program was birthed out of adversity and maintains its legacy. “Reputation” takes a while to build, but the reality is that it’s stable and high quality right now, whether people have heard much yet or not. Find the program that meets your goals and mission. OV UCLA gives county and NPI training. NPI UCLA is also outstanding and offers VA and NPI training (no county). Greater LA VA UCLA offers VA and NPI as well. Harbor UCLA is entirely county. All have outstanding clinical supervision and teaching from UCLA faculty. Regardless of what happens in residency, your program should take care of you, and these programs will all care for their residents to the highest degree.
Agree with the above post but just want to clarify some small points. Harbor-UCLA is mostly county, but there is outpatient Kaiser for therapy during PGY3, as well as two months of geriatric psychiatry at Kaiser. And electives at NPI or the Long Beach VA in PGY4. Other than that, I think everything else is spot on. The faculty at Harbor-UCLA is amazing, and from what I saw during my interview days there and talking to current residents, attendings at NPI and OV are held with the same regard. I can't comment on USC or the G-LA VA program.

In regards to Kedren - agree with the points made in various posts above. I know Harbor does send a good number of very psychiatrically ill patients to their inpatient unit from the psychED, so no doubt they see some serious pathology, but I don't know any of the residents or faculty there so I can't comment on the program itself. Regardless, nice to see some more residency spots in the Los Angeles area (especially after Cedars closed down a few years ago), especially serving the patient pool that Kedren does, considering how rapidly the homeless population of Los Angeles has exploded over the past decade.

In regards to Kedren - agree with the points made in various posts above. I know Harbor does send a good number of very psychiatrically ill patients to their inpatient unit from the psychED, so no doubt they see some serious pathology, but I don't know any of the residents or faculty there so I can't comment on the program itself. Regardless, nice to see some more residency spots in the Los Angeles area (especially after Cedars closed down a few years ago), especially serving the patient pool that Kedren does, considering how rapidly the homeless population of Los Angeles has exploded over the past decade.

One of my best friends is a Drew Resident. Yes, the program is new, but the educational opps are top notch if you're the type who learns more from patients than from textbooks (plus, the PD is triple boarded in adult psych, addictions psych and one other (forensics?)). It's definitely not a good program for residents that need their hands held. The majority of patients on the unit are extremely ill and have a multitude of psychosocial stressors to compound biological factors. From what I've heard firsthand, the Drew program is VERY selective because they're looking for people who are a true combo of intelligence and heart. Working with such an underserved population is a labor of love and so they're seeking people who wish to devote their lives to patients such as these.

One of my best friends is a Drew Resident. Yes, the program is new, but the educational opps are top notch if you're the type who learns more from patients than from textbooks (plus, the PD is triple boarded in adult psych, addictions psych and one other (forensics?)). It's definitely not a good program for residents that need their hands held. The majority of patients on the unit are extremely ill and have a multitude of psychosocial stressors to compound biological factors. From what I've heard firsthand, the Drew program is VERY selective because they're looking for people who are a true combo of intelligence and heart. Working with such an underserved population is a labor of love and so they're seeking people who wish to devote their lives to patients such as these.

They've invited like 5 people from my class....this hasn't happened at any other program in the country. I had the strong feeling they were definitely not selective in their interview choices.

They've invited like 5 people from my class....this hasn't happened at any other program in the country. I had the strong feeling they were definitely not selective in their interview choices.

Well I don't know anything about these "like 5 people," but if they really did get an interview, it's possible they all have something special. My friend told me all 6 of the current residents are extremely well rounded. Also, 4 out of the 6 have advanced degrees, and 2 out of those 4 have more than one advanced degree...Anyway, to me it seems like a really great program, but it all depends what one is looking for.

Well I don't know anything about these "like 5 people," but if they really did get an interview, it's possible they all have something special. My friend told me all 6 of the current residents are extremely well rounded. Also, 4 out of the 6 have advanced degrees, and 2 out of those 4 have more than one advanced degree...Anyway, to me it seems like a really great program, but it all depends what one is looking for.

2-3 are good to great applicants, another 1-2 are bottom of the barrel if I'm being completely honest.