Timing of when to tell PD about CAP resignation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1153076

Hello all,

I have decide I am not going to pursue my CAP 5 year, atleast not at this time due to personal reasons. Wondering when would be good timing to notify my PD. I didn't make up my mind until today, already signed contract for next year but there isn't any time stipulation on resining. I would like to give them advanced notice but part of me is paranoid they will pull some shenanigan's and screw with my PGY-4 year so I am not board eligible. I am probably being overly concerned here as people have resigned in the past no problem and I have had nothing but good evals through all of residency. I would even be willing to come back to the program in a few years when my situation changed. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to imagine under what circumstances waiting would be better and the only thing that comes to mind is a program that is truly malignant and would somehow have 6 weeks to concoct a way to disrupt your career. From what you have described this is not your program, and frankly every CAP program has had times of people leaving after a year, this will not be earth shattering to any PD. Very little of CF2 year is service oriented and is largely for your growth/development as a child psychiatrist. I don't think I even earned my salary in personal billable work my CF2 year, but sure did learn a lot.

I dont know your situation but I almost quit my 5th year but then my colleagues convinced me to suck it up for another year :D, it had to do with the program and the system where I worked, so that may be a different scenario, if it is financial then moonlight like crazy and you can probably make some decent money, if you have to move for whatever reasons then consider transferring to a 5th year somewhere else.
If you have a good relation with your PD, talk to him/her honestly as they may even help you with one of the above scenarios or come up with a plan that suits your situation. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The sooner the better for the program. If you know you are going to do this, don't wait. It will only make things worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooner is better. If you want to be super paranoid you can print or save your evals so you have the paper trail but thats probably overkill unless you've seen your program be retaliatory. There's very little motivation for them to mess with things at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.