Can anyone who has had success in the 2008 App cycle post their Work/Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a small sample of how you organized things from your actual app... many of us 2009ers are confused/just need some confirmation. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ask specific questions.

I used all 15 spaces, some don't. I used 5 spots for volunteering, 4 spots for work, two for shadowing, one for research, and three for clubs. I wrote descriptions (~6 sentences) for each.

I think the OP wants clarification on what is put into the description box (the one with the 1325 character limit), i.e. what content to include and how to format it.

Personally I don't really think it matters - there are not clear instructions and as long as you have properly worded phrases or sentences describing what was done, I don't think there will be any problems.

And whatever you do, DON'T LIE!

I second Bozz, we need help, please give us a hand!!!!!!

ask specific questions.

I used all 15 spaces, some don't. I used 5 spots for volunteering, 4 spots for work, two for shadowing, one for research, and three for clubs. I wrote descriptions (~6 sentences) for each.

really? interesting. i wrote one sentence descriptions (sometimes 2) for each, resumé style, because i figured adcoms didn't want to wade through a lot of BS. this seemed to translate well into giving them material to ask in my interviews...

And whatever you do, DON'T LIE!

Why not? :D

These might be cliche or whatever, but don't complain, they probably weren't even read by anyone anyway:

Edit- you are correct about them being too long, but I figured if one AdCom member decided to read them, it was worth my spending 10min writing.

I have tutored over one hundred students at all academic levels. My first formal tutoring position was at the ****** Community Center in ******. I worked at the request of Mrs. ******, my Chemistry and Physics teacher. I tutored walk-ins, mostly elementary and middle school age, in mathematics and science. On days in which there were no tutees Mrs. ****** and I just discussed physics. I was not paid for my work, but these discussions were worth more than I could have been paid. Aside from my work at the community center I tutored fellow classmates. I enjoyed seeing my work improve students' grades, but I learned a lot as well. One of the best ways for me to learn has always been for me to teach someone else. This method helped me in college as well. In my first two years of college I tutored general chemistry. Many students paid a small fee, but friends of mine and those who could not pay were not required to if they promised to do their part. In my last two years at ****** I started tutoring cell biology because so many students struggled with it. I actually tutored one girl through cell, neurobio, and immunology. She had to work through school and could not pay, but I didn't once think about charging her because she was so intent on learning the material.

I have undertaken two major independent research projects in two different departments at the ******. In the summer and fall of 2004 I worked under the direction of ******of the department of Biochemistry. My project analyzed the kinetics of and revised the isolation protocol of ******, a principal component of the tryptophan metabolic pathway. I used standard biochemical techniques to assay the activity of ****** under a variety of conditions and under the influence of several types of inhibitors.
In the Spring of 2006 I worked under the direction of ****** and ****** of the Department of Cellular Biology. I worked with a group of four other undergraduate students examining the comparative effects of lithium treatment on the microtubular structures of the ciliate Tetrahymena thermophila and PC12, a common neuroblast cell line. I directed the neuroblast project with the assistance of one other undergraduate student.
Working in the lab has taught me a great deal about the creative application of the scientific method. Whether brainstorming in the cell lab or trying to deduce mechanisms of inhibition in biochemistry, I always had to think on my feet. I believe this will be an asset to me in the medical field.

****** National Wildlife Refuge is a three thousand acre park in coastal ****** that provides habitat and protection for numerous species of birds, fish, and reptiles. The park is open to the public for hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, and environmental education. I was involved in several projects designed to make ****** NWR more easily accessible to the public. Initially our projects were little more than landscaping. We replanted flowers native to the park, added some new shrubs, and cut back unwanted plants to make the welcome center and parking lot more inviting. The first major construction project on the refuge was the erection of a small information kiosque with a concrete path leading from it to the parking lot. I was involved in most of the planning stages and I helped in the construction. (edit) one last project: I was to plan and construct a 75 foot, handicapped accessible bridge to extend from the parking area to the fishing docks. The planning stage lasted nearly a month because my design had to conform to federal park guidelines, but after it was approved I was able to find many people willing to help with the construction. I had a lot of fun working at ****** and I know our work was appreciated.

really? interesting. i wrote one sentence descriptions (sometimes 2) for each, resumé style, because i figured adcoms didn't want to wade through a lot of BS. this seemed to translate well into giving them material to ask in my interviews...

Did you write them in sentences or was it in short phrases (like "-Assisted the staff with chart organization, patient management, and performing diagnostic screening tests.")?

I just made that up, by the way, that's not an actual description I put in my AMCAS.

Did you write them in sentences or was it in short phrases (like "-Assisted the staff with chart organization, patient management, and performing diagnostic screening tests.")?

I just made that up, by the way, that's not an actual description I put in my AMCAS.

yes, it was more like what you wrote. similar to a resumé. i didn't think that an exhaustive analysis of my position as a sexual assault awareness educator or a student government leader was really necessary. the things that i felt were MOST crucial to my app were covered in my 1) personal statement, 2) transcripts, and 3) MCAT score report. i was reluctant to enter any work/activities at all. i guess it might have been good though that the adcoms saw that i was able to get decent grades while holding down 20+ (and then later, 40+) hour jobs all through school.

I'm no expert, but I would advise anyone applying to med school to use complete sentences... :p

i actually wrote out like a paragraph for each of mine.

i also only used 7 of the 15 slots. i did a lot of grouping...for example, i grouped all my shadowing under one. i could have easily done 2 for shadowing since they were completing different experiences, but i just grouped them instead and wrote a paragraph on each of them in the space provided. i also grouped my clubs and honors into one. again, i could have made 3-4 slots for them but rather grouped them together and wrote a paragraph on each of them.

i personally thinking grouping is better because you don't look like you're trying to bs and boast you were SOOO involved.