Can applying to too many programs backfire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US MD at Low-Mid Tier State School.

So I'm applying to IM. I'm paranoid about matching because I had to repeat a class in MS2 and didn't get the best board scores (210-220 Step 1 and 230-240 Step 2).

I'm applying to ~60 programs and basically getting mixed messages. Some are saying 30 should be enough and others are saying that the more I apply, the better.

Is this a possible scenario:

I apply to 60 programs, get 25 interviews, and have to cancel like 10 of them.

Would cancelling that many interviews be a red flag in and of itself? Or is it not an issue and programs don't care about interview cancellations?

Advice Plz. Trying to submit tonight or tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah you are just paranoid. everyone cancels interviews. Look at the number needed to apply to match according to the NRMP then maybe add 20 since you had to repeat a year and that might be a red flag in some programs. 60 will just cost a lot but that is the only downside

Reactions: 1 user
yeah you are just paranoid. everyone cancels interviews. Look at the number needed to apply to match according to the NRMP then maybe add 20 since you had to repeat a year and that might be a red flag in some programs. 60 will just cost a lot but that is the only downside
I didn't repeat a year, just one class lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't repeat a year, just one class lol.
Oh oops sorry! Well it might not even show up then depending on your school. Either way, if applying to 60 makes you feel better and decreases your anxiety and you don't care about the money, do it.

Applying to programs doesn’t matter, interviews matter. Cancel early. Doing too many can also backfire because you can get bored as it gets super repetitive. I fell asleep during a power point presentation when they turned the lights out I was like nope tapping out guys. Think I may have drooled a bit on my suit. Classy guy I am.

Reactions: 9 users
US MD at Low-Mid Tier State School.

So I'm applying to IM. I'm paranoid about matching because I had to repeat a class in MS2 and didn't get the best board scores (210-220 Step 1 and 230-240 Step 2).

I'm applying to ~60 programs and basically getting mixed messages. Some are saying 30 should be enough and others are saying that the more I apply, the better.

Is this a possible scenario:

I apply to 60 programs, get 25 interviews, and have to cancel like 10 of them.

Would cancelling that many interviews be a red flag in and of itself? Or is it not an issue and programs don't care about interview cancellations?

Advice Plz. Trying to submit tonight or tomorrow morning.

Not the point of this thread, but if your process for choosing programs is semi-sane you will get way more than 25 nibbles. I deal with this every year, where people are having meltdowns before the season starts and then end up canceling 40+ interviews.

No downside to applying broadly. No downside to cancelling or turning down interview invites, as long as you do it EARLY.

Programs 1) do not know how many other places you're interviewing and 2) do not know how many other places you cancelled interviews at.