Can being a scribe help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordan1671

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can becoming a PhysAssist Scribe help in any way for dental school applications or dental school in itself? If not, is there a similar version that can help while earning a salary? Ideally, I would like to relocate to a state for a year to gain in-state tuition status.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it can harm your application and don't see why it wouldn't help, but I think that working at a dental office (dental assistant, front desk, etc) would be more applicable to dental school and help more.

I always thought you needed certification to be a dental assistant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a scribe would suck. I have several friends doing it now and they work the worst hours!

I always thought you needed certification to be a dental assistant?

This might depend on the state, but I know in mine you don't as long as a dentist is willing to train you. But this is why dental assisting jobs without experience are really hard to come by.

From my experience my dental related work wasn't really important on my app. As long as you have the minimum hours of shadowing it really boiled down to grades, DAT, and personality (probably in that order) for the few schools I interviewed at. I think it helped in my interviews because it gave me a talking point and good reasons to promote why dentistry is right for me though.

Reactions: 1 user