Being a dentist is awesome!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndoislifeM

Reaction score
Hello, future dentists out there,
I have been practicing dentistry since 2012. Let me tell you this: No regrets. The first five years of practicing is hard, but I have so much fun learning and making a real difference in people's life. Now I am going back for endo. But general dentistry has served me and my family very well. It is a good profession!!! Well, there are some days you will feel like sh***, but to get the patient out of pain, either endo or EXT third molars indeed make a difference in people's life :)
And try to go to rural areas within the first few years; you learn a lot more and help the small community.
What else? Dental school is different from what you imagine it to be. Get ready to be humble, and you also will make a lifetime of friendships there.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Great to hear about your experience in private practice! I second the idea of practice in the rural community. Good salary, experiences and the community appreciates the service and is in need.

Best of luck in the endo world!

Reactions: 1 users
I have been practicing dentistry since 2012. Let me tell you this: No regrets.
What was your student loan balance when you graduated? Do you think you’d feel the same if you had $650,000 or more in student loans, like an ever growing number of students have today?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What was your student loan balance when you graduated? Do you think you’d feel the same if you had $650,000 or more in student loans, like an ever growing number of students have today?

Big Hoss
My student loans balance is 350000 dollars and I paid them off in 3 years- meant no fancy car, no traveling for the first 3 years. My wife and I are also child free.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish you young guys and gals could read the stuff on DT, they are literally infuriating comments about the state of dentistry. Be advised!

Reactions: 1 user
I wish you young guys and gals could read the stuff on DT, they are literally infuriating comments about the state of dentistry. Be advised!
This dentaltownie posted a poll asking his dental colleagues how happy they are about the dental profession in 2023. I didn't have time to read the entire thread. But after reading a couple of posts, I was surprised that a lot of practicing dentists (probably more than half) there had positive comments about the profession. There are not of jobs out there that allow you to earn 6-figure income with 4-day work week. Being your own boss is another plus.

Reactions: 2 users
My student loans balance is 350000 dollars and I paid them off in 3 years- meant no fancy car, no traveling for the first 3 years. My wife and I are also child free.
What was your salary during those years? What was your approximate rent or mortgage payment?

Reactions: 1 users
I find this hard to believe.. so you paid off $100k worth of loans with post tax salary ($9k-10k) per month for 3 years straight? What was your salary? Did you receive any financial help? Even if you started out with $200k salary(which is very difficult to do your first few years) almost all your post tax salary would go towards your loans to have them paid off in that amount of time.

Something smells fishy...

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users