Can "Calculus" wait until sr. year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JESSFALLING

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my deal: I've taken two stats classes (Intro + Intermediate) which fulfill the math requirement at all-but-two of the schools I'm planning to apply to. Do you think it would be okay to wait until after I apply (and see if the two schools even call for interview) to take calc? Or would this put me at enough of a disadvantage that it would jeopardize getting an interview in the first place at these two schools (UCI/Texas)? (For the record, I'm not afraid of the calculus...I just don't want to take an extra class that might not be needed.)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my deal: I've taken two stats classes (Intro + Intermediate) which fulfill the math requirement at all-but-two of the schools I'm planning to apply to. Do you think it would be okay to wait until after I apply (and see if the two schools even call for interview) to take calc? Or would this put me at enough of a disadvantage that it would jeopardize getting an interview in the first place at these two schools (UCI/Texas)? (For the record, I'm not afraid of the calculus...I just don't want to take an extra class that might not be needed.)

Thanks!!

I don't think anyone will care if you have taken calculus or not. Just make sure it is on your application that you will be completing it before school starts. I wouldn't worry about it.

You can absolutely list the class as "plan to take" and I believe if would be perfectly fine, if you were rejected from those two schools, to decide not to take it if you don't want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
List it as a future class. One girl from my college signed up for Calc II for Harvard and decided to take it her last semester so that she could drop it if she weren't accepted to Harvard...

Thanks!!

You can take any pre-req after you apply, as long as you indicate it as part of your planned coursework and complete it before matriculation.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciated it!