1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Can carboxyllic acids form hydrates?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by airstrikee, Oct 29, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. airstrikee

airstrikee 2+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2014
    If we had a carboxyllic acid like benzoic acid that is treated with an acid such as HCl what would be the major product? Would it be a hydrate? I've attached a picture of a mechanism i made

Attached Files:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. amy_k

amy_k

Sep 24, 2014
    Looks feasible but I would call that a triol or an ortho-acid, not a hydrate.

4. Teleologist

Teleologist 2+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2013
    on your 6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthoacetic_acid

Steps 1 and 2 in your hypothetical mechanism are uphill journeys, both enthalpically and entropically. I don't see why this would be something that occurs on a large scale unless you had some very, very strong acid. Even then, entropy isn't exactly on your side.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  5. airstrikee

airstrikee 2+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ah, so what is a possibility for a major product when adding an acid such as HCl to a carboxyllic acid?

6. Teleologist

Teleologist 2+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2013
    on your 6
    I would think that the carboxylic acid stays mostly intact.