Can dermatologists perform facelifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honestpredent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not interested in dermatology but there was a debate on the dental boards about oral surgeons being able to perform face lifts one day. I was just curious. Are dermatologists performing face lifts? And if they are, what gives them the credentials to do since they aren't surgically trained?

Members don't see this ad.

Derms definitely do face lifts- from what I understand the techniques were developed by dermatologists as an offshoot of their flaps and grafts on the face in the last century. Derms also developed liposuction. Both usually require a fellowship post-residency. I've only seen derm surgeons do eyelid lifts (blephs) and "mini-facelifts" b/c most cosmetic surgeons out of any field don't seem to work in academics.

One benefit to having a dermatologist do either of the above procedures is that they tend to use local or regional instead of general anesthesia (vs., say, plastics) resulting in faster recovery times (ie procedure on Friday, back to work Monday) and fewer AEs (the only recent deaths from these procedures in the area I trained were due to complications of anesthesia).

Would I recommend a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon?

Like anything, the experience in the particular procedure (ie, how many they've done, how long they've been doing it, who they trained with, etc) would probably be a major deciding factor.

Anyone else have info on this?

my question for the derms doing facelifts...

are they prepared to deal with their own complications?

facial nerve palsy
cellulitis
flap complications

i doubt it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thenavysurgeon said:
my question for the derms doing facelifts...

are they prepared to deal with their own complications?

facial nerve palsy
cellulitis
flap complications

i doubt it.

Please.

Is a plastic surgeon going to do a XII-VII jump graft?
How hard is it to put a gold weight in an eyelid?
I'm sure dermatologists have heard of antibiotics, saline, wet-to-dry dressing changes, etc.

This brings up the age old and tired debate of who takes care of who when someone spills the milk. The general surgeons are taking care of the colons and stomachs gasteroenterologists perf. The ENTs are taking care of everyone's trach and intubation disasters. The plastic surgeons are taking care of everyone else's shotty closure techniques. The internists are helping the surgeons calculate free water deficit.

Please...

interesting...
so, you're in oto training....planning on doing real ENT for your career, or do you plan on doing facial plastics, like many ENTs...and if end up doing facial plastics...how will you feel about a bunch of derm 'surgeons' sending their complications to you, while cherry-picking your potential patients?

Most Dermatologists are well qualified to do the cosmetic procedures common to them.Its very rare for a dermatologist to do facelifts.I'm aware of none who do them...possibly in California! Even MOHS surgeons who are highly skilled in flaps, closures,grafts,want nothing to do with them.In fact Plastic Surgeons themselves are moving towards minimally invasive procedures such as filling agents,Botox,lasers which provide good cosmetic results with a fraction of the potential liability issues as more aggresive approaches.Any competent practitioner should be able to handle the common complications of their procedures.The less common or severe complications can require outside help.This is true amongst all specialties including Plastic Surgeons.
The real concern are practitioners doing these procedures with little or no training.Family docs and Internists now open cosmetic surgery centers and do all kinds of things there.Cardiologists,OBGYN,Rehab docs are doing Botox,and Laser "rejuvination".

When you talk about "facelifts" are you excluding these "feather lifts" that derm's all over Florida are doing?

I was talking about full surgical facelifts not the so called "featherlifts".