Can DO Specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Congo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I am new at this site. Before i posted, I tried searching for the search option but no luck. My only question is that: Can DO specialize in something such as orthopedic, radiology, etc. just like MD can? Thanks a bunch! And what's the difference between the two anyway? MD and DO besides the fact that one is osteopathic and the other is allopathic? Thanks a bunch!!

Members don't see this ad.

osteopathic physicians can specialize in anythign just like allopathic physicians can....in fact D.O's can take on M.D. residencies so their is no limit as far as what you can do with a D.O. degree.....seconldy, they just follow slightly different philosophies in order to reach the ultimate goal of beocming a physician, soem ppl favor one and some ppl favor the other

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, DOs can specialize just like MDs can.
To find the difference/similarities between the two, I would highly recommend you go out and shadow doctors. You can read all the information on the internet about this topic, but you will really understand the difference from the first hand experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, sorry I am new at this site. Before i posted, I tried searching for the search option but no luck. My only question is that: Can DO specialize in something such as orthopedic, radiology, etc. just like MD can? Thanks a bunch! And what's the difference between the two anyway? MD and DO besides the fact that one is osteopathic and the other is allopathic? Thanks a bunch!!

Of course you can specialize. The only difference is the initials for the doctor. Do what ever makes you happy.

you guys are seriously answering this post? Close this thread immediately.

:sleep:Tell the voices to stop!:sleep:

Congo,

Heard of google? Also, try a search on these boards for your answer. You'll find plenty of answers.

why are you guys being dicks, he asked a question because he didnt know, either answer it or ignore the thread.

thats what this forum is for whether you like it or not

jzeidenb-

Here is a copy of a PM Congo sent me right after my post.

"Hi im planning to be a Radiology, but would being an DO let me specialize in that? Thanks!"

We are not being dicks, wake up man.

Lockkkkkk. Who cares if it is a serious question (which I'm highly doubting), you could have basically typed in ANYTHING into the search engine to get this answer. Plus .... "I smell a troll."

Members don't see this ad :)
And that is not what this forum is for.

jzeidenb-

Here is a copy of a PM Congo sent me right after my post.

"Hi im planning to be a Radiology, but would being an DO let me specialize in that? Thanks!"

We are not being dicks, wake up man.

you are being a dick, if it bothers you that much ignore him and let a mod take care of it.

untitled.jpg

Easier to post a pic than try to describe where to find it.

To answer your question - yes, DO's can specialize.

This is the link to our FAQ:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=240220

It should hopefully answer a lot of your questions.

Yes, DOs can specialize if they are applying to specialties that are not competitive. Also, they are trained more to assist MDs in these specialties than to be their counterparts. Good luck!

...if it bothers you that much ignore him and let a mod take care of it.

Well said, jzeidenb.

Look, just because people ask the same questions over again, doesn't make them a troll. Let us do the work. Report problematic posts. Professionalism and kindness go a long way. Remember when you first came here and knew close to nothing? I do. Don't make me reveal your first posts. :D

We all need to remember that people often come to this site knowing almost nothing about osteopathic medicine. Simply point them to the FAQ at the top and to the AOA website. Let them know that a search will reveal much.

If you can't say something productive and are just going to go around calling anybody a troll who you don't like, then please consider ignoring the thread.

Thank you, and my regards to those who responded cordially and constructively.

Yes, DOs can specialize if they are applying to specialties that are not competitive. Also, they are trained more to assist MDs in these specialties than to be their counterparts. Good luck!

WTF? :laugh: You're joking, right?

WTF? :laugh: You're joking, right?

Um, yeah. That's patently false. I suppose it was meant as sarcasm. If not, then I'd point this out as an example of trolling. :p

Please, OP, do yourself a favor and read the FAQ and the AOA website.

Obviously not hard enough:

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/
http://www.osteopathic.org/

Um, yeah. That's patently false. I suppose it was meant as sarcasm. If not, then I'd point this out as an example of trolling. :p

Please, OP, do yourself a favor and read the FAQ and the AOA website.

I would disagree and say the OP is trolling simply due to the fact that there are as many threads on this subject/topic as there are stars in the universe. I think people are sick of these threads (me included).

some sanity at last

The Pre-DO forum gets more and more like the pre-allo forum EVERYDAY.

:thumbdown:

The goal here is to invite people to the profession not to scare them away. Learn some damn manners.

To the Original Poster (OP), DOs can specialize in every field that an MD can. However, like MDs, some of these fields are more competitive than others. I encourage you to do a search to find a multitude of examples that illustrate this point.

Best of luck.

It was sarcasm. I think DOs have placed into every allopathic specialty program there is. However, I believe there are still some highly competitive individual programs/locations DOs have not matched into yet

specialize in VOODOO only!

It was sarcasm. I think DOs have placed into every allopathic specialty program there is. However, I believe there are still some highly competitive individual programs/locations DOs have not matched into yet

There may be individual programs that DOs haven't matched into, but there is not a single medical field that a DO is not currently practicing in.

ewll i have a real question for this thread.

on the difficulty scale how hard is it to match (not just DO, in general) into cardiology (1 being easiest 10 most difficult) relative to other specialties.

ewll i have a real question for this thread.

on the difficulty scale how hard is it to match (not just DO, in general) into cardiology (1 being easiest 10 most difficult) relative to other specialties.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

You don't match into cardiology, you do an internal medicine residency (3 years) then a cardiology fellowship (another 3 years). In terms of matching into a cardiology fellowship, it's one of the harder internal medicine fellowships to get, but by no means impossible.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

You don't match into cardiology, you do an internal medicine residency (3 years) then a cardiology fellowship (another 3 years). In terms of matching into a cardiology fellowship, it's one of the harder internal medicine fellowships to get, but by no means impossible.

:thumbup: That's correct. You match into IM first, kick *** and then worry about a cardio fellowship.

The years of cardio training after your IM residency are sometimes referred to as a "cardiology residency".

thats what i thought but this site makes it seem like there is a direct cardiology residency so im all confused:

http://www.opportunities.osteopathi...e40d38dd1-C7E5742B-C014-379F-08C03F15CC25E4E1

It's confusing because it says 'residency', not fellowship which is what it is after completing a 3 year internal medicine residency. But if you click on any of those 'residencies', all of them are three years in length and start at the ogme year 4.

So they're really 'fellowships'.

ah ok thanks for the clarification.

soo what happens when someone aspires for fellowship x and doesnt get it.. are they then condemned to practicing internal medicine?

ah ok thanks for the clarification.

soo what happens when someone aspires for fellowship x and doesnt get it.. are they then condemned to practicing internal medicine?

Nope. Just like the medical school admissions process, you improve your application, and try, try, again. I know someone who is an IM doc; didn't get the fellowship of his choice after the interview...they said he/she needed more research.

:beat:

yes u can specialize...

Why are there some 35 posts in this thread and the OP is nowhere to be found?

Hey guys I am sorry and I am not trolling so bear with me, but I have searched with no luck. Are DO's allowed to talk to MD's? I know MD's can talk to each other without a problem, but can DO's walk up to them and ask them something...This is a huge factor for me. I dont want to go into a profession that prevents you from talking to someone. My best friend will be an MD and sure would hate our friendship to end like this...thanks again...and is it true that DO's are taught telepathy? I had heard that some DO's were bypassing this prohibition of talking to MD's by just using their telepathic capabilities. Can someone confirm this?

Hi sorry for not posting for so long, i just got back from my akido class. Thanks for those who helped answered my question and for those dicks who thinks they are better than others, they can go bother someone else. I came into this forums to seek for answers and not to be flamed on. I bet you were like me when you first started so we both are on the same boat buddy. And as for you "Sexyman" I messaged you because you posted on another thread about your friend wanting to become a radiologist and I also want to be one as well. Hoping you can help me but all you did was being a dick to me? You can go **** yourself for all I care. I asked for guidance from you and you did not even answer my question, if you don't want to answer then you did not have to reply to this thread. Thanks for those who answered my question again, I am a newbie and I seek for your guidance. Thanks!:)

P.S. For those who aren't going to answer the question, instead of flaming on the OP, don't bother to even respond to the thread then. Amazingly how some people don't have anything better to do and just flame on someone. I am not a troll, I've been a registered member since last March, and I don't post a lot because i don't know most of the answers. Sigh why some flame on those who asks?

Good Day

(In my very best Mom voice that has been known to make grown men cringe:)

LANGUAGE. Let me remind you all that poor language is a TOS violation. This is a professional forum - not your local street corner. Clean it up.

And in a nicer voice, but still stern:
If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. While we are all quite tired of repeat threads (just wait until the next application cycle starts), this is how people learn. No, not everyone knows how to properly use the search feature. No, not everyone reads the FAQs like it says "Read me FIRST!". And yes, most people think their question is unique and needs to be asked without an adequate search on either the forums or the internet. This is life. Let me remind you all that at one point you didn't know how to do the basic necessities of life like brushing your teeth, using the toilet, zipping your pants, or even remembering to put on underwear every day (ok, I don't want to hear about those of you who like to ignore this last one). So instead of being the bully on the playground and making fun of everyone, how about you help them along. Believe it or not, your mother was right: helping someone, even when it seems incredibly stupid to you, makes you feel good. Try it.

Now get along. Or at least pretend to get along.

OP: you can do whatever you want as a DO. Let me recommend you read the FAQ at the top of this forum. Let me recommend you go to osteopathic.org. Let me recommend opportunities.osteopathic.org. But let me also remind you that NOTHING will replace poor grades, poor board scores, and poor rotation evaluations. Want do to cardiology? Great. High pass your classes. Ace your boards. Get rotation evaluations that say you darn near walk on water. Do a fabulous job in IM and ace steps 2 and 3 of your boards. And have a great interview for your subspecialty. You'll do better than the guy who did just mediocre. Rads same deal. Derm same deal. Ortho same deal. It all depends on you.

I'm getting my morning coffee now.

and an eerie calm falls over the forum . . .

get it mod !! let 'em know !!

Hi sorry for not posting for so long, i just got back from my akido class. Thanks for those who helped answered my question and for those dicks who thinks they are better than others, they can go bother someone else. I came into this forums to seek for answers and not to be flamed on. I bet you were like me when you first started so we both are on the same boat buddy. And as for you "Sexyman" I messaged you because you posted on another thread about your friend wanting to become a radiologist and I also want to be one as well. Hoping you can help me but all you did was being a dick to me? You can go **** yourself for all I care. I asked for guidance from you and you did not even answer my question, if you don't want to answer then you did not have to reply to this thread. Thanks for those who answered my question again, I am a newbie and I seek for your guidance. Thanks!:)

P.S. For those who aren't going to answer the question, instead of flaming on the OP, don't bother to even respond to the thread then.Amazingly how some people don't have anything better to do and just flame on someone. I am not a troll, I've been a registered member since last March, and I don't post a lot because i don't know most of the answers. Sigh why some flame on those who asks?

Good Day

.... And you'll be leaving them just as fast. You need to learn to roll with the punches here. People are sarcastic, and when someone new pops in a makes a thread of this nature, it gets bashed. You can laugh about it and become a productive member of the forums, or insult people and be banned. Your decision.

The next one who posts with the intent to inflame is going to feel my wrath. Good day.

BTW, it is against SDN's TOS to post a PM message without the sender's consent. Fair warning here.

(In my very best Mom voice that has been known to make grown men cringe:)

LANGUAGE. Let me remind you all that poor language is a TOS violation. This is a professional forum - not your local street corner. Clean it up.

And in a nicer voice, but still stern:
If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. While we are all quite tired of repeat threads (just wait until the next application cycle starts), this is how people learn. No, not everyone knows how to properly use the search feature. No, not everyone reads the FAQs like it says "Read me FIRST!". And yes, most people think their question is unique and needs to be asked without an adequate search on either the forums or the internet. This is life. Let me remind you all that at one point you didn't know how to do the basic necessities of life like brushing your teeth, using the toilet, zipping your pants, or even remembering to put on underwear every day (ok, I don't want to hear about those of you who like to ignore this last one). So instead of being the bully on the playground and making fun of everyone, how about you help them along. Believe it or not, your mother was right: helping someone, even when it seems incredibly stupid to you, makes you feel good. Try it.

Now get along. Or at least pretend to get along.

OP: you can do whatever you want as a DO. Let me recommend you read the FAQ at the top of this forum. Let me recommend you go to osteopathic.org. Let me recommend opportunities.osteopathic.org. But let me also remind you that NOTHING will replace poor grades, poor board scores, and poor rotation evaluations. Want do to cardiology? Great. High pass your classes. Ace your boards. Get rotation evaluations that say you darn near walk on water. Do a fabulous job in IM and ace steps 2 and 3 of your boards. And have a great interview for your subspecialty. You'll do better than the guy who did just mediocre. Rads same deal. Derm same deal. Ortho same deal. It all depends on you.

I'm getting my morning coffee now.

Thanks for the advice from all the ones that responded to my questions and also to those who helped me learn to use this forum's functions! Thanks a bunch

There are still some highly competitive individual programs/locations some MDs have not matched into yet either.