You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Can doctors prescribe themselves meds?
Started by VelvetArt
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You might be interested in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=295643
I personally have not had a problem writing my own scripts for birth control, tests, but wouldn't attempt to write for pain meds, anxiolytics, etc.
I personally have not had a problem writing my own scripts for birth control, tests, but wouldn't attempt to write for pain meds, anxiolytics, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4
45408
No, you can (technically), but it's moving into questionable territory. Prescribing yourself narcs and benzos would probably be a great way to get your license revoked. If it's albuterol or a cream for a rash, then yes, some people do it. The thread linked above has a lot of really polarized opinions, but the gist of it is that yes, you CAN, but a lot of people WON'T.no u cant. i'm not sure but i dont think yuo're supposed to prescribe your family or friends meds either but idk how thats regulated.
I'd probably do it for minor stuff, when the time comes.
The Prowler has done a good job of summarizing the link I provided above. In short:
legally you can write your own prescriptions
some pharmacists will refuse to fill them (I had one refuse to fill a 7 day trial of Lunesta for me, as I had written the script)
most physicians will refuse to write prescriptions for controlled substances for themselves, family or friends
many physicians will refuse to write any prescriptions for family or friends
as an aside, it is a good policy to have not to do the above. When you become a resident, the nurses (I have found) will often approach you for subscriptions.
legally you can write your own prescriptions
some pharmacists will refuse to fill them (I had one refuse to fill a 7 day trial of Lunesta for me, as I had written the script)
most physicians will refuse to write prescriptions for controlled substances for themselves, family or friends
many physicians will refuse to write any prescriptions for family or friends
as an aside, it is a good policy to have not to do the above. When you become a resident, the nurses (I have found) will often approach you for subscriptions.
Doctors can prescribe themselves meds, but it depends on which drug class. I think they can't prescribe themselves schedule II, III drugs (i.e. Adderall, oxycodone, etc)....usually anything that can be highly abused/addictive. If you want to make sure, ask in the pharmacy forums...they should know what can and cannot be filled.
Couldn't help but notice this thread while lurking. I work in the pharmacy at a large teaching hospital, and in my experience in working in the outpatient sector, I've had a couple residents and a couple old geezer MDs write for themselves or their SO.
AFAIK, no one really cared all that much as long as it was something relatively common. Most of the stuff was pretty innocuous, like statins or HTN meds or BC, and half the time it was written because they just needed new refills.
I can see the POV for the slippery slope, but I can't think of anything more innocuous than writing yourself a refill for lipitor or metoprolol. Besides, even if someone was gutsy enough to try and get ativan or something controlled, 99% of pharmacists will refuse.
AFAIK, no one really cared all that much as long as it was something relatively common. Most of the stuff was pretty innocuous, like statins or HTN meds or BC, and half the time it was written because they just needed new refills.
I can see the POV for the slippery slope, but I can't think of anything more innocuous than writing yourself a refill for lipitor or metoprolol. Besides, even if someone was gutsy enough to try and get ativan or something controlled, 99% of pharmacists will refuse.
Can a lawyer defend himself in court?
Can a lawyer defend himself in court?
You can defend yourself in court whether you are a lawyer or not. But you DEFINITELY have to be a lawyer to defend another person.
You can defend yourself in court whether you are a lawyer or not. But you DEFINITELY have to be a lawyer to defend another person.
I believe lawyers have a colorful rule of thumb addressing this: "Any lawyer who chooses to represent himself/herself in court has an idiot for a client."
I believe lawyers have a colorful rule of thumb addressing this: "Any lawyer who chooses to represent himself/herself in court has an idiot for a client."
Hence the popular saying in medicine: "A doctor who treats himself is a fool for a patient"
hell yes...house does it all the time
Hence the popular saying in medicine: "A doctor who treats himself is a fool for a patient"
I hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense.
D
deleted87716
Hence the popular saying in medicine: "A doctor who treats himself [has] a fool for a patient"
...not to mention a fool for a doctor. 😉
4
45408
For what, news magazines? A little Time or US News? Anything more racy, like Playboy?When you become a resident, the nurses (I have found) will often approach you for subscriptions.
😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For what, news magazines? A little Time or US News? Anything more racy, like Playboy?
😀
D'oh - good catch!😀
That would be prescriptions.
D
deleted87716
D'oh - good catch!😀
That would be prescriptions.
And here I thought you were selling magazines on the side to make extra money during your fellowship! 😀
And here I thought you were selling magazines on the side to make extra money during your fellowship! 😀
Wouldn't be a bad idea. How about Field and Stream or Highlights for you?
At the pharmacy where I work, I've never seen a RX from a doctor who had written it him/herself, but, it has been discussed with the Pharmacists and myself, and they have the opinion that it is definitely unethical, and should be up to the Pharmacists' own personal morals as to whether or not they will fill any RX for a MD. For myself, as mentioned before, it would depend on what the RX was for as to whether or not I would fill it or not.
hell yes...house does it all the time
Nope, House gets his fixes from Cuddy, Wilson, and his minions
I see nothing wrong or unethical with prescribing yourself medicine that is not a narcotic and things like that. In fact, I find it more unethical to steal time away from patients by having a colleague write you a rx.
Compliance Issue Pharmacy State Board of Pharmacy:
http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/newsletter/ArchCompRemind.htm
COMPLIANCE REMINDERS
The archived compliance reminders listed below are for historical purposes only. Because laws and rules continually change, information contained in the archived compliance reminders may no longer be accurate. Please reference the current laws and rules at www.tsbp.state.tx.us/rules or contact the Boards office for clarification of a particular issue.
Physicians Prescribing for Themselves or Their Family Members
As long as the physician issues a prescription for a legitimate medical purpose, the physician may prescribe for himself, his family, or any other patient. However, a pharmacist may not fill a prescription unless they know that the prescription is written for a legitimate medical purpose. Pharmacists should take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that there is a true physician-patient relationship.

http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/newsletter/ArchCompRemind.htm
The archived compliance reminders listed below are for historical purposes only. Because laws and rules continually change, information contained in the archived compliance reminders may no longer be accurate. Please reference the current laws and rules at www.tsbp.state.tx.us/rules or contact the Boards office for clarification of a particular issue.
Physicians Prescribing for Themselves or Their Family Members
As long as the physician issues a prescription for a legitimate medical purpose, the physician may prescribe for himself, his family, or any other patient. However, a pharmacist may not fill a prescription unless they know that the prescription is written for a legitimate medical purpose. Pharmacists should take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that there is a true physician-patient relationship.

I've certainly done it and will continue to do so. I see nothing wrong with ordering or refilling a non controlled drug for an obvious, or previously diagnosed problem. Particularly for someone who continues to f/u as needed with the original author of the Rx.
As was mentioned above, lipitor, HCTZ, birth control, abx cream, etc. have little abuse potential, and quite limited street value.🙄
As was mentioned above, lipitor, HCTZ, birth control, abx cream, etc. have little abuse potential, and quite limited street value.🙄
How about writing for your own Viagra?
They often have a doctor friend write a script for them.
I think the real problem people are missing is you are unlikely to keep a written history with yourself, friends and family members. Therefore if **** hits the fan and you barely know the person and missed something by just prescribing something for a distant family member over the phone without documentation you might have a problem...
But if you dont skip any part of the normal doctor patient relationship then I dont see how it could be wrong.
But if you dont skip any part of the normal doctor patient relationship then I dont see how it could be wrong.
How about writing for your own Viagra?
What about prescribing yourself medical marijuana if you're in a legal state?
I think the real problem people are missing is you are unlikely to keep a written history with yourself, friends and family members. Therefore if **** hits the fan and you barely know the person and missed something by just prescribing something for a distant family member over the phone without documentation you might have a problem...
But if you dont skip any part of the normal doctor patient relationship then I dont see how it could be wrong.
Just met with a member of the state medical board (required for permanent license here), and basically as long as you document what you've done you're probably OK. The example he gave was a nurse in your office calls you late afternoon Friday, her OB/GYN office is closed and she thinks she has a UTI - dysuria, lower abd pain, no fever. She promises to go to her OB/GYN on MOnday. You can call in an antibiotic assuming you have at least a little note that gives symptoms, med allergies, and notes the patient's intention to obtain a true exam.
In our office, we use phone notes (EMR) to rx for each other so there is documentation.
What about prescribing yourself medical marijuana if you're in a legal state?
In Cali, for sure. They're so lackadaisical, I doubt anyone would care. In one of the stricter states, like AZ, I doubt it. They take that **** seriously in AZ.
In Cali, for sure. They're so lackadaisical, I doubt anyone would care. In one of the stricter states, like AZ, I doubt it. They take that **** seriously in AZ.
This is correct.
Its generally frowned upon to self-prescribe and some states have written policies outlining what they regard as unethical/ improper with all of them as far as I know prohibiting controlled substances. Consensus is its ok if its late at night or on a weekend and the need is very basic like an antibiotic but doctors shouldnt write themselves or family/ acquaintences meds for ongoing/ chronic needs because they wont be receiving proper objective attention that should go with the script.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is not a simple question. It all comes down to what the prescription is and why its being written. There is nothing unethical about writing a prescription for yourself if there is a valid reason ie. If you would write the same prescription for a patient in the same position. If that's not true and especially if we are talking about drugs where there is an abuse potential then a physician should not be writing the prescription for themselves. However, While it may not be unethical it may also not be a good idea. The whole reason for requiring a physicians prescription for these meds is so that the person can be monitored. You need an objective voice to oversee your treatment and a physician can get into a lot of trouble if they don't have that external voice.
Family members and friends are a different situation. If you are going to treat family/friends you need to be sure you can treat them as a patient and forget who they are. Not everyone can do that and I see this relationship get abused far to often by physicians who dont know how to distance themselves when they should. Far too many physicians prescribe antibiotics to family and friends over the phone for things that they shouldn't. Far too many doctors give advice to family and friends when they don't know all the facts. As a doctor one of the most important things you need to learn how to do is say NO.
I do take care of some family and some friends but I am very selective about who i will take care of. I only take care of people who can respect the boundaries of those relationships. If they have a medical problem to discuss the place to do so is in the office not at Thanksgiving dinner or a pool party. With the exception of staying late, coming in early or meeting them in the office on the weekend, I don't do favors for family or friends. If you can stick to those rules than you can prescribe for them. If you can't then you shouldn't.
Someone above said this and I'll repeat it. DON"T write prescriptions for nurses. Every one of you will at some time during your residency be approached by a nurse asking you to refill a BP med, give them an antibiotic for a cold, or prescribe them a weight loss drug at least once. You may feel pressure because you're new and a nurse who doesnt like you can make a residents life more difficult. DON'T do it!! If that nurse gets c.diff from an antibiotic you gave him/her or has a stroke because you refilled their BP med allowing him/her to avoid her regular doctor visit, or develops an arrythmia from the diet pills you gave him/her your name will be on the prescription and you will be held accountable.
Family members and friends are a different situation. If you are going to treat family/friends you need to be sure you can treat them as a patient and forget who they are. Not everyone can do that and I see this relationship get abused far to often by physicians who dont know how to distance themselves when they should. Far too many physicians prescribe antibiotics to family and friends over the phone for things that they shouldn't. Far too many doctors give advice to family and friends when they don't know all the facts. As a doctor one of the most important things you need to learn how to do is say NO.
I do take care of some family and some friends but I am very selective about who i will take care of. I only take care of people who can respect the boundaries of those relationships. If they have a medical problem to discuss the place to do so is in the office not at Thanksgiving dinner or a pool party. With the exception of staying late, coming in early or meeting them in the office on the weekend, I don't do favors for family or friends. If you can stick to those rules than you can prescribe for them. If you can't then you shouldn't.
Someone above said this and I'll repeat it. DON"T write prescriptions for nurses. Every one of you will at some time during your residency be approached by a nurse asking you to refill a BP med, give them an antibiotic for a cold, or prescribe them a weight loss drug at least once. You may feel pressure because you're new and a nurse who doesnt like you can make a residents life more difficult. DON'T do it!! If that nurse gets c.diff from an antibiotic you gave him/her or has a stroke because you refilled their BP med allowing him/her to avoid her regular doctor visit, or develops an arrythmia from the diet pills you gave him/her your name will be on the prescription and you will be held accountable.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 6K
D
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 458
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 784