Can DO's practice in Canada as physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the answer is no but does anyone have any info on this topic? Is the AOA in the process of obtaining accreditation for DO's to practice in country's such as Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that practice rights are granted by individual provinces and that some of the western ones will let you practice if you petition them - I am not postive, though. Try searching the forum, this has been discussed previously.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks "Dr.Mom"

I'm a Canadian citizen who's a perm resident. Just got accepted to KCOM...wooohooo.

I was reading over the rights in Canada and read this

"Must have completed at least 2 years of GME approved by the AOA or the ACGME"

Can someone please explain what GME is? Please excuse me for my ignorance (I should know this....I know). :p

thanks

I wouldnt be surprised that within 5 years Canada fully accepts D.O.s. as full physicians. Its the damn European influence up there that has prevented it from happening already, as in Europe, Osteopaths are VERY different than they are here. This is one reason alot of D.O.s are trying to push for the use of the words "osteopathic medicine or osteopathic physician" in place of "osteopathy or osteopath". Unless Canada sees a huge influx of American MDs who are escaping the malpractice crisis and thus winds up with an overpopulation of docs, I dont see why Canada wouldnt need some extra hands up there.

Originally posted by DrMom
Here's some info on practice rights. Don't know how up-to-date it is, though. You can page down to get to Canada.

DO international practice rights

You know...I used to be one of the first ones to respond to threads like this, but you beat me to the punch with your post.

It's people like YOU, DrMom, that make it hard for me to remain a credible SDN member!!!

;)

Originally posted by JPHazelton
You know...I used to be one of the first ones to respond to threads like this, but you beat me to the punch with your post.

It's people like YOU, DrMom, that make it hard for me to remain a credible SDN member!!!

;)

Awwww :(

I'm not trying to steal your thunder! :D

Don't buy that, JP. She's a closet gunner! :D

In the past, for a Canadian, it was best to go to a ACGME residency as a DO. With the current merger, it wouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the big problem has been the slow growth/knowledge of the profession in Canada. This is slowly changing with MSUs program/more schools accpeting Canadians. We have gone from 5-10 students a year starting a DO school to 50-60. The new cohort is starting to graduate now (and they will take another 3 yr min to go back home)

The loss of CMG status in Ont would have had an explosive growth of DOs in Canada, sadly this will delay it more. Regaining CMG status in ONT is key for international growth of DOs outside of the US.

I think you need to think long and hard about how you would feel in the event you aren't able to work in Canada, for the time being, or maybe ever.
I'm not at all saying this will happen, likely it won't. But there is always that risk with DO in Canada, and I woun;dn't start the program unless you are ok with this 100%

After you match, i believe you have the same rights/compensation as a MD.
The hard part is matching through CaRMS..considering DO's are apparently now considered IMG's in all provinces except BC (according to this http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/78253-news-dos-will-now-be-imgs-in-canada/page-3).

They can still do a US ACGME residency and practice afterward in Canada.

http://www.studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/faqs (look at Boards, Residency, and Returning to Canada)

They can still do a US ACGME residency and practice afterward in Canada.

http://www.studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/faqs (look at Boards, Residency, and Returning to Canada)

Hey yeah sure they can. I just wanted to point out why Canada is still bit iffy if you're trying to match through CARMS directly, especially with the recent law change in Ontario. As DO becomes more mainstream, i'd expect (at least hope) Canadians take the DO route over IMG. There are still a huge # of people in Canada who are either unaware of DO's in general or still hung up on the MD title.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey yeah sure they can. I just wanted to point out why Canada is still bit iffy if you're trying to match through CARMS directly, especially with the recent law change in Ontario. As DO becomes more mainstream, i'd expect (at least hope) Canadians take the DO route over IMG. There are still a huge # of people in Canada who are either unaware of DO's in general or still hung up on the MD title.

Gotcha. Well, hope the DO presence increases there as well.

Yea, I am just thinking long and hard. I spent a good year in Toronto and I loved it there. But frankly Ive just really been thinking about finding a good place to raise a family and settle down. Plus I saw physician salaries were considerably lower in Canada than here. And if i have that $500,000 chunk following me around, i gotta figure out how to pay it first and foremost.

I really do love toronto though. I felt like TOronto offered a kind and nurturing kind of city especially for raising children. I can see myself like having a dual citizenship. I know that many are hung up on the MD title there. I was unaware though that we would be considered IMGs there.

What about if you were an MD from here, would you still be an IMG there? (in other words is it DO specific?)

What about if you were an MD from here, would you still be an IMG there? (in other words is it DO specific?)

Canadian allopathic schools are LCME accredited. You would not be IMG as long you attend LCME schools. I can't speak for DO, but can't imagine why would you be an IMG. I'm guessing that in near future, an osteopathic school will be opened in Canada.

Plus I saw physician salaries were considerably lower in Canada than here.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-lawsuit-is-over-now-time-to-vent-thread.984815/page-2
Post #69
There may be shift limits in parts of Canada but where I practice there are certainly none, as our current shifts range from 7-14 hours in length depending on the hospital, and there is no limit to how many shifts you can work in a week or month. Most of us make above $200,000.00 if working full time. I work part time EM and part time FP and last year made almost $300,000.00. That was without killing myself, generally seeing between 2-3 patients/hr. We have excellent consultant coverage and good relationships with most of our colleagues. And very few lawsuits. Cheers,

A little lower salary, but better coverage, don't have to kill yourself, and less lawsuit. That is a better deal.

Reactions: 1 user