Can ER Doctors make innovations

Heiwa143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can er doctors actually make Innovations in medicine like surgeons or internists make. For example finding a cure for cancer, introducing a new surgical procedure/technique, this is in no way a disrespect to er doctors and I apologize if I asked this in the wrong thread

Members don't see this ad.

Can er doctors actually make Innovations in medicine like surgeons or internists make. For example finding a cure for cancer, introducing a new surgical procedure/technique, this is in no way a disrespect to er doctors and I apologize if I asked this in the wrong thread
Yes, but in different ways. They are always conducting research (taking in data) for ER care and pre-hospital care (EMS). As the years have gone by a lot of stuff has change because of EM doctors finding better ways or eliminating procedures that did more harm.

Here is an example video of a doctor who created an abdominal tourniquet.

Reactions: 1 user

You won't be doing lab research as an ER doctor. But as mentioned above you can absolutely make innovations within your scope of practice. So thats mostly going to be things that help diagnose or stabilize patients, not "curing cancer" (Which BTW is far more likely going to come from chemistry, not surgery/procedural techniques).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up that no one calls it ER unless you are referring to the show. EM (emergency medicine) is the specialty and ED (emergency department) is the place.

Reactions: 1 user
There is room for research in any medical field. For EM the research will focus mainly on stabilizing acute injuries and trauma applications. If you want to specifically work on cancer cures, you'll have to go into heme/onc. Neither is superior to another field of research, just different. As an aside, onc research can contain a large lab component

Posted using SDN Mobile

Yes. I was watching a program about emergency medicine and the military different than your standard ER, but..). They have just come up with new ways of getting blood into the patient faster and also methods for slowing trauma. It was really interesting and clearly took some innovative thinkers

Last edited:

Yeah. There are a lot of innovations in EM.

Here are the top articles in the Journal of Emergency Medicine from July
- Fluids- a new approach to cardiogenic shock
- Everyone needs a CT scan: how the ER can survive under the affordable care act
- If they have a heart, consult cardiology: a novel approach to patient care in the ER

Of course. Honestly (and I'm and emergency medicine resident) EM is one of the less research heavy specialties. However, if you want to innovate in EM there are plenty of opportunities. Frankly, any one who want's to innovate can, some of our greatest innovators aren't nearly as educated as physicians. As Vasca said you probably won't cure cancer since cancer is rarely a big EM issue other than "hey your CT scan look weird". but any area of medicine there are abundant research opportunities.

I'm not sure about making innovations.......but, I do know they can innovate :laugh:

Now is there a way to become at the top of your field in emergency medicine and if there is what qualities would make the best em physician?

Last edited: