Can FM work as OB laborist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Probably varies from hospital to hospital, but I can't imagine a hospital would be thrilled to pay two people (an FM doc and an OBGYN as back up if the FM doc is only "doing low risk deliveries" and I assume no c-sections) to cover a shift that could be done by the OBGYN alone. If you were comfortable with higher risk OB and c-section trained and the hospital allowed FM docs to do deliveries and sections independently, it might be a different story.
 
Echo what was said above. There is no low risk delivery until the baby and mom are both crying.

Why would the hospital incur the cost of paying 2 physicians when one who is trained in emergency management will do just fine?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Big-city hospital laborist physicians need the skills and experience to do hysterectomies, gyn (ectopic, ovarian torsion etc.). For low-risk deliveries, most facilities will hire a CNM midwife instead (because they are popular with pts and cost less).

Even an FM doc with CS fellowship training would not be hired as a laborist in a big hospital. But you could be hired to provide locums FM/OB coverage for a rural hospital that needs weekend/vacation OB coverage and possibly CNM backup. There, the FM doc can cover both mom and baby so we are more in-demand than an OB who can only cover mom. For those jobs, you must have C-section training and experience. They exist in the rural areas of the midwest (e.g. KS, NE)
 
What if the fmob dr was ok getting paid less like the midwife.
I just want some more delivery experience without going into the rural and also not having to deal with call. Thus laborist is what I was thinking. It wouldn't be for long term, just enough to get a taste of the joy again and some more experience so I can serve better in international communities that I have visited really need the care.

I haven't done ob fellowship. Did a bit of extra ob in residency though I don't feel its enough. Also had a year off since.
 
I'm not trying to be a knocker, but ask yourself if you're ready to deal with the 'that was not supposed to happen' deliveries that are not uncommon.

Of the 55 or so routine deliveries I did in residency, at least 5 ended up going for section. I wouldn't like those odds if I were on my own. Drop in no prenatal care was not uncommon. Untreated GDM, eclampsia, etc. I had one routine one go in to florid DIC. I can see these situations even more common in the 3rd world.