Can I apply if I dont meet all the requirements?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by MMF84, Jan 26, 2018.

1. MMF84

Pre-Medical
    I had a pretty simple question. I already have my degree and I’m currently finishing up my last semester of OChem, Biology, and Biochemistry. However, when I was looking at schools to apply to I noticed that I’m off by 2 credits in the Biology section. I have the 1 year and 2 hours of labs but some schools as for 14 semester hours. Could I apply for these medical schools and then if accepted finish the last class or does this put me at a huge disadvantage? I just don’t want to waste the money applying if I won’t really be considered.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 001002154

Yes, you can apply and be accepted contingent upon finishing any outstanding coursework prior to matriculation.

dr.phoot and MMF84 like this.
  4. jonnythan

jonnythan Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    You could apply, but you likely won't be accepted or allowed to matriculate until you meet the requirements.

They're called requirements for a reason.

Goro and frosted2 like this.
  5. MMF84

Pre-Medical
    I definitely understood the point of requirements, I was curious to know if having a class “in progress “ would be a disadvantage hence why I said “if accepted finish the last class.” But thank you for the input

dr.phoot likes this.
  6. MMF84

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for answering that! I just wasn’t sure if it puts me at the bottom of the stack if I’m still taking those last 2 units. Appreciate the help

7. 001002154

Honestly, I’m not sure if it changes your overall competitiveness. Plenty of college seniors in progress are accepted. I was accepted contingent on finishing one remaining prerequisite.

8. nomdeplume1234

Pre-Medical
    I think you should be ok. the understanding is that by the time you start medical school you should have all that finished. Two credits seems minimal. wouldn't delay a year just for that.

gyngyn likes this.
  9. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    It is expected that you will have met all requirements by the start of orientation, not at the time of application.

Goro and MMF84 like this.
  10. DarklingThrush

DarklingThrush SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    You can apply as long as you finish before matriculation. I will be missing both OChem labs when I apply... How are you taking Ochem, Biology and Biochemistry together? Biochem didn't have any pre reqs?

MMF84 likes this.
  11. danyboy

Dentist
    You might have some problems if you continue without completing all requirements...

12. RNthenDoc

When you are accepted you sign an agreement stating you will have completed all prerequisites satisfactorily prior to matriculation.

One school I know considers it academic dishonesty if you do not. Scary stuff

Goro and MMF84 like this.
  13. MMF84

Pre-Medical
    I’m in the second semester of each of those courses so our Biochemistry has a prerequisite of 1st semester Biology and 1st semester OChem. I finished those last semester so once I conclude in May I will have completed all the prerequisite sequences besides a 2 credit Biology class.

14. MMF84

Pre-Medical
    Good to know!!! Thank you very much!

15. MMF84

Pre-Medical
    Great! I had read that somewhere I jut wasn’t sure if there was a bias towards those who have everything finished.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    No bias.