Can I apply if I dont meet all the requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMF84

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty simple question. I already have my degree and I’m currently finishing up my last semester of OChem, Biology, and Biochemistry. However, when I was looking at schools to apply to I noticed that I’m off by 2 credits in the Biology section. I have the 1 year and 2 hours of labs but some schools as for 14 semester hours. Could I apply for these medical schools and then if accepted finish the last class or does this put me at a huge disadvantage? I just don’t want to waste the money applying if I won’t really be considered.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a pretty simple question. I already have my degree and I’m currently finishing up my last semester of OChem, Biology, and Biochemistry. However, when I was looking at schools to apply to I noticed that I’m off by 2 credits in the Biology section. I have the 1 year and 2 hours of labs but some schools as for 14 semester hours. Could I apply for these medical schools and then if accepted finish the last class or does this put me at a huge disadvantage? I just don’t want to waste the money applying if I won’t really be considered.

Yes, you can apply and be accepted contingent upon finishing any outstanding coursework prior to matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users
You could apply, but you likely won't be accepted or allowed to matriculate until you meet the requirements.

They're called requirements for a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could apply, but you likely won't be accepted or allowed to matriculate until you meet the requirements.

They're called requirements for a reason.
I definitely understood the point of requirements, I was curious to know if having a class “in progress “ would be a disadvantage hence why I said “if accepted finish the last class.” But thank you for the input

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can apply and be accepted contingent upon finishing any outstanding coursework prior to matriculation.
Thank you for answering that! I just wasn’t sure if it puts me at the bottom of the stack if I’m still taking those last 2 units. Appreciate the help

Honestly, I’m not sure if it changes your overall competitiveness. Plenty of college seniors in progress are accepted. I was accepted contingent on finishing one remaining prerequisite.

I think you should be ok. the understanding is that by the time you start medical school you should have all that finished. Two credits seems minimal. wouldn't delay a year just for that.

You can apply as long as you finish before matriculation. I will be missing both OChem labs when I apply... How are you taking Ochem, Biology and Biochemistry together? Biochem didn't have any pre reqs?

When you are accepted you sign an agreement stating you will have completed all prerequisites satisfactorily prior to matriculation.

One school I know considers it academic dishonesty if you do not. Scary stuff

You can apply as long as you finish before matriculation. I will be missing both OChem labs when I apply... How are you taking Ochem, Biology and Biochemistry together? Biochem didn't have any pre reqs?
I’m in the second semester of each of those courses so our Biochemistry has a prerequisite of 1st semester Biology and 1st semester OChem. I finished those last semester so once I conclude in May I will have completed all the prerequisite sequences besides a 2 credit Biology class.

When you are accepted you sign an agreement stating you will have completed all prerequisites satisfactorily prior to matriculation.

One school I know considers it academic dishonesty if you do not. Scary stuff
Good to know!!! Thank you very much!

It is expected that you will have met all requirements by the start of orientation, not at the time of application.
Great! I had read that somewhere I jut wasn’t sure if there was a bias towards those who have everything finished.