RN having trouble deciding if I should apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wao2221

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently deciding whether or not it's worth it to take the MCAT April 24' and apply to one school and matriculate in 2025 (I'll give specifics on why later) OR wait a few months, complete a few more classes, then take it, and apply for a 2026 matriculation.

A few details about me:
- ICU RN of 3.5 years- roughly 7000hrs
- Taken both Gen Chems, Gen Bio, Ochem 1, Biochem as a post-bacc over the last 3 years (GPA 3.70)
- Still need to take Ochem 2, Phys 1&2
- cGPA 3.50 (includes UG and PB)
- sGPA 3.47 (includes UG and PB; had 2 C's in UG sciences early on)
- Haven't taken the MCAT
- Shadow hours ~8 (I'll be getting more over the next few months)
- Volunteering ~50
- Clinical volunteering- will have about 40 hours after medical mission trip in March

Why only apply to 1 school?
- My wife is starting CRNA school in Jan 2024, graduates in Dec 2026. She has to be onsite for class for the first 1.5 years therefore, we cannot move anywhere for me to go to school until later on. There's 3 medical schools near me but only one that I realistically have a shot at getting in.
- She can do an away rotation for her last rotation before she graduates in the fall of 2026. So hypothetically, I can apply to more schools for the 2026 cycle because we won't be location restricted then.

Is it stupid to take the MCAT in April '24 and only apply to this 1 school for the 2025 cycle? I can see how only applying to one school can seem a waste of time/money but I don't necessarily see it that way. Had this school not existed, I wouldn't be applying. This would be my number 1 school in any cycle regardless so I don't necessarily see the harm in applying.

As of now my two options would be:
1. Study for MCAT and take in April, see how I do, apply to the one school in my city, continue to take leftover prereqs after
2. Take another of the prereqs this semester, not take the MCAT/apply, study for MCAT in summer, take MCAT in early fall and depending on my score I could study and retake it again before applying in 2025

Please let me know your honest thoughts. Open to any suggestions, comments, and questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you were a rockstar applicant, applying to a single school is unlikely to yield an acceptance (or even an II). Wait to apply for the 2026 cycle and hold off taking your MCAT until you are ready to get the best possible score. Applying in 2025 and not getting into that one school makes you a reapplicant, which will hurt your chances for a successful cycle in 2026.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it stupid to take the MCAT in April '24 and only apply to this 1 school for the 2025 cycle?

Yes, very much so. Don’t set yourself up for failure and disappointment. This is not a process that rewards chance and luck. Plan to do it once and do it right by giving yourself maximum flexibility and opportunity. On your current path, you are risking a lower mcat score, a reapplicant label, going through the hassle of asking LoR writers to update their letters, months of waiting and wondering if that one school will invite you to interview, another waiting period of wondering if the school will admit you or get you off a waitlist, the potential of not using that year to prepare a good application for more schools because you are spending it waiting to hear back from that one school, the added mental self doubt if the school eventually rejects you. The downsides are so many.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As of now my two options would be:
1. Study for MCAT and take in April, see how I do, apply to the one school in my city, continue to take leftover prereqs after
2. Take another of the prereqs this semester, not take the MCAT/apply, study for MCAT in summer, take MCAT in early fall and depending on my score I could study and retake it again before applying in 2025
Option 2 is preferable for your circumstances. Do it right, do it once.

You will need a lot more non-clinical volunteering hours to be competitive (minimum is about 150).

Reactions: 2 users
As a current RN applying this cycle, please don’t only apply to one school. As far as the MCAT, aim for at least a 505. Be open to both MD and DO. Schools say they are holistic and don’t just look at just your MCAT score, but that’s all a lie. You better prepare for that exam like your life depends on it. I have a 3.8 gpa, 2 years nursing experience and hundreds of volunteering hours. But I can’t get into a single school because of my score. Please prepare for the MCAT and don’t rush. Apply to at least 10 schools if you’re serious about this path. It’s not easy but the MCAT is everything. Once you get a good score, things become slightly easier.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
As a current RN applying this cycle, please don’t only apply to one school. As far as the MCAT, aim for at least a 505. Be open to both MD and DO. Schools say they are holistic and don’t just look at my your MCAT score, but that’s all a lie. You better prepare for that exam like your life depends on it. I have a 3.8 gpa, 2 years nursing experience and hundreds of volunteering hours. But I can’t get into a single school because of my score. Please prepare for the MCAT and don’t rush. Apply to at least 10 schools if you’re serious about this path. It’s not easy but the MCAT is everything. Once you get a good score, things become slightly easier.

Mind if I message you privately and talk about your situation?