Can I apply to a pharmacy school while attending a different pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Colorado303

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recently got denied to my 1st choice school (University of Washington) an am completely heart broken about it. I have been accepted to one of my back ups and am waiting to hear back from my 2nd choice school. So I was wondering, if I did end up attending my backup, would it be possible to apply again to UW during the next admissions cycle? I know that transferring is difficult in pharmacy school. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
You can apply again but you would have to start all over in terms of coursework. Why would you want to do that? You’ll put yourself into more debt. Either you put up with attending your second choice school or just reapply to your top choice.
 
Recently got denied to my 1st choice school (University of Washington) an am completely heart broken about it. I have been accepted to one of my back ups and am waiting to hear back from my 2nd choice school. So I was wondering, if I did end up attending my backup, would it be possible to apply again to UW during the next admissions cycle? I know that transferring is difficult in pharmacy school. Thank you!

You can apply but two things will happen:

1) Admissions committee will give you the most confused look and wonderment as to why your willing to post-pone being a pharmacist just to start over with them (leading to a denial). Should you try to cover this up it will be revealed by your mandated transcripts and most secondaries ask if you have attended pharmacy schools in the past.

2) Transferring is not negotiable. You would be starting all over from square one, postponing your goal of being a licensed professional, and still carry all your debt over a span of 5 more years of schooling instead of the traditional 4.
 
You can apply but two things will happen:

1) Admissions committee will give you the most confused look and wonderment as to why your willing to post-pone being a pharmacist just to start over with them (leading to a denial). Should you try to cover this up it will be revealed by your mandated transcripts and most secondaries ask if you have attended pharmacy schools in the past.

2) Transferring is not negotiable. You would be starting all over from square one, postponing your goal of being a licensed professional, and still carry all your debt over a span of 5 more years of schooling instead of the traditional 4.


Now that I’ve had a few days to process this, I realize that this wouldn’t be the best route. Luckily, I did get accepted to my 2nd choice school, which allows me to decide if I want to start this Fall/2020 or Fall/2021. So if I wanted to try again next cycle I could just postpone until 2021 and not be at risk of not getting into any programs next year. Though I don’t think it’s worth waiting a year to try and get into my 1st choice school when I’ve already been accepted to my 2nd choice. Thank you for your response, emotions definitely got the best of me!