Can I apply to Dental schools w/o providing DAT scores immediately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.ch

Reaction score
Hello,

Are we able to apply to American/Canadian dental schools without official DAT scores at the time of application? I plan to apply early so if I do apply without the DAT scores earlier on, will my application be reviewed and still be considered early?

If the application is put on hold, then once the DAT scores are received by the schools, will the application still be categorized as an 'early application' despite scores becoming available later on? I hope that makes sense.

I am just trying to gauge the best time to write the DAT-- I may consider doing it at the end of this month if the scores are required for applications to start getting evaluated by dental schools, otherwise I could write it end of next month or early July if I am still able to submit the rest of my application earlier on and it is being reviewed.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ultimately this will be answered under ADEA AADSAS 2024-2025 Application Questions Thread! **will be unlocked once officially opened on 5/14/24** .

My advice is to write the exam as soon as you are fully prepared to score highly (20+ across all scores). The American DAT gives you a preliminary score immediately, and rarely does a rescore review change the result. (I'm pretty sure the Canadian DAT is similar.) You can always notify your schools of your unofficial results.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

That is definitely sound advice however what I'm also meaning to inquire about is if I submit the applications without official DAT scores (we don't get unofficial records for our scores here in Canada), will be application still be reviewed as an 'early Application' or will it be put on hold entirely until the official DAT scores are received?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is definitely sound advice however what I'm also meaning to inquire about is if I submit the applications without official DAT scores (we don't get unofficial records for our scores here in Canada), will be application still be reviewed as an 'early Application' or will it be put on hold entirely until the official DAT scores are received?
Thanks for clarifying for the CanDAT.

You can let admissions know you have a pending DAT on AADSAS. Your application will be placed on a hold from review until it comes in. Many schools will take unofficial DAT scores as a proxy for your official scores (because why would anyone lie about that or submit a forged set of scores knowing official scores will follow) and push your application forward. That saves about 3 weeks.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Thank you.
it will be held as it is not complete
however, since you have already entered your classes/grades and your registrar's office will have sent your transcripts, your application will be processed faster once your dat scores are received

and as mr smiles said, you can submit your unofficial scores via email or fax and SOME schools may start to consider you pending confirmed scores (preliminary scores very rarely are different than the finalized scores)