Can I apply to med schools while doing a prerequisite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dideoxy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new around here.. I did a quick search for 'prerequisite' but since that word is in almost every thread, it didn't help much..

Anyway, my question - my first opportunity to do one of my prereqs will be this summer, and I'd really like to apply to be eligible for entrance in 2008 fall. Is this OK? I'll have done 4 years of school, the MCAT, etc.., everything except this one measly course and I know that I'll be able to register for this course in the summer.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools (e.g. WVU) require you complete all prequisites before 1-Jan. of the matriculation year. So if you take it this summer or fall you shouldn't have a problem with that type of school if entering in 2008.

But if for instance you didn't take it until next spring ('08) you might have some difficulty.

Some schools (e.g. WVU) require you complete all prequisites before 1-Jan. of the matriculation year. So if you take it this summer or fall you shouldn't have a problem with that type of school if entering in 2008.

But if for instance you didn't take it until next spring ('08) you might have some difficulty.

But only with those schools. That said, you want to try to complete them before interviews at least, and have updated transcripts in your file, so they can see how well you did. Also, you don't technically have to have the MCAT done before you apply, although your file won't be complete until the score is in. Since they're offering the exam so many more times now, that might not put you behind as badly as it used to.

cool, thanks guys. I'm not too worried about the course as it relates to the MCAT because I had done it in high school, that's why I was exempt from it to get a science degree. From the practice MCATs I've done, the stuff I did in high school and in other uni courses has been more than enough of a foundation...