Can I be a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack8276

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I am pretty squeamish. I am currently an undergrad and I almost fainted when I had to cut a fetal pig for bio. I could not do it. Very disgusting.

Secondly, I hate studying science. Bio...chem..all that. So boring and I cannot pay attention in class. I self study and do pretty well though. Straights As mostly.

I really do want to be a dentist though; helping people, the hours and lifestyle, all great.

Is dentistry for me?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have a lot of adjusting to do to become a dentist, but people can adapt in surprising ways. Shadow someone to see how it strikes you.

Unsure about dentistry? Call 1-800-SHADOW-2DAY to schedule a date with a dental provider.

Shadow

my 0.02

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last time I checked, you won't be operating on month old animal fetuses...but again some people's mouths can be just as bad.

if you think science is boring, dentistry could be 10x more boring to you
desensitive yourself if you're squeamish...watch some horror flick or a youtube clip on how to skin a deer

Reactions: 1 user
This is why they emphasize on shadowing before deciding. Shadow.

Firstly, I am pretty squeamish. I am currently an undergrad and I almost fainted when I had to cut a fetal pig for bio. I could not do it. Very disgusting.

Secondly, I hate studying science. Bio...chem..all that. So boring and I cannot pay attention in class. I self study and do pretty well though. Straights As mostly.

I really do want to be a dentist though; helping people, the hours and lifestyle, all great.

Is dentistry for me?
HAHA I am pretty sure you should be fine. I think the worse thing you could do is make a judgement off of how you felt during a pig dissection. I promise you that grosses everyone out. You need to shadow a few dentists and make sure you are actually shadowing the dentist not the dental assistant. You need a taste of what life will be like in his shoes. If you can manage to survive and still feel as strong about being apart of this profession then I'd say you are set.

Edit:

Oh and by the way, I don't care what anyone tells you, chemistry (while important to dentistry) isn't something that you should judge your future in dentistry off of. Most dentists will tell you to just make an A and get the heck out of there because once you are in the office, no one is going to test you on the chemical make up of tooth paste. You should definitely pay attention because it doesn't end in undergrad but its not something you would have to be able to talk about on a daily basis. Now if you were planning on being a Chem or Bio professor that would be a different situation.

Last edited:

Is dentistry for me?

If you can't handle a baby pig, I imagine you would have a lot of trouble in the cadaver lab.

Reactions: 1 user