Can I can a pre med requirement class during a gap year?

Minymouse417

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school student taking a gap year. I am going to be learning how to play the violin, learning the Dutch language( my family is dutch caribbean and i can understand them and read dutch but I cant speak it at all lol), learning Mandarin Chinese through a program where I will be in China for 3 months, getting a full time job and volunteering at a hospital. I will also get rosetta stone to keep up with mandarin and dutch.My question is though, is it wise for me to take the opportunity and take a semester of College Calculus for a pre-med requirement? I wonder if the credit will transfer and if i will be allowed to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a high school student taking a gap year. I am going to be learning how to play the violin, learning the Dutch language( my family is dutch caribbean and i can understand them and read dutch but I cant speak it at all lol), learning Mandarin Chinese through a program where I will be in China for 3 months, getting a full time job and volunteering at a hospital. I will also get rosetta stone to keep up with mandarin and dutch.My question is though, is it wise for me to take the opportunity and take a semester of College Calculus for a pre-med requirement? I wonder if the credit will transfer and if i will be allowed to do so?

You are asking... If you should take the semester of college calculus during your trip?

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't talking about taking it in China, are you?

If you take it at an accredited US college or university (community college counts), then it will work as a premed prereq. There are some med schools that don't really like prereqs from community colleges but very few explicitly forbid it anymore

Yea. I was NOT going to take it overseas. I was going to take it at a state school or community college for only that one semester. I was just debating doing so because i was not sure if my college will accept the credit.

Yea. I was NOT going to take it overseas. I was going to take it at a state school or community college for only that one semester. I was just debating doing so because i was not sure if my college will accept the credit.

Do it at a state school.

Trust us :thumbup:

You can take the calc 1 at a CC if you cannot take it at a State school as a visiting student.

You can take the calc 1 at a CC if you cannot take it at a State school as a visiting student.

While it is technically possible to take pre-med requirements at a CC, I believe the question we were answering is whether or not it is wise to do so. There can be bias against pre-med reqs taken at a CC and IMHO there is no reason for the OP to risk that.

While it is technically possible to take pre-med requirements at a CC, I believe the question we were answering is whether or not it is wise to do so. There can be bias against pre-med reqs taken at a CC and IMHO there is no reason for the OP to risk that.

Yes, and I answered under those pretenses. I did that mostly because calculus isn't really a prereq, it's just a course that falls under the requirement for a year of college level math . These days not many universities are going to care where you took calc 1 or even if you did. This as opposed to lets say some the real prereqs, in which there is still admittedly some bias, but can be overcome easily by taking upper level courses ( I mean lets get real, if you take Bio1 at a CC and then Upper level Cell bio at a 4 yearn, Med schools probably won't question much.