PhD/PsyD Postdoc Hunt in Ohio

Started by psyd_em
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psyd_em

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone! Just discovered this forum, so please disregard this post if it doesn’t fit within the rules and guidelines.

I graduate in summer 2027 with my PsyD from an APA accredited program, and am just beginning my APA accredited internship. My husband and I plan to relocate to Ohio (Columbus area) to be closer to family following graduation, so I am pretty geographically limited in terms of APPIC/UPPD postdoc positions for next year and am already trying to get creative with ways to identify other opportunities.

So far I’ve joined the OPA listservs (they’re pretty inactive) and several Ohio-based psychologist Facebook groups. I have a spreadsheet of larger group practices in the area that I plan on cold-emailing to see about their capacity for taking on a postdoc fellow, as well.

However, I’m wondering if there’s anything I’m missing! How do others network effectively? I’ve been asking supervisors and mentors about connections with psychologists in Ohio, but so far no one has had any. Any other groups, listservs, etc. I should consider joining? I’m also planning on periodically checking job sites for listings.

…And if anyone knows any practices in the area that are looking for a postdoc who specializes in therapy and assessment with children and adolescents, let me know! 😅
 
What is your specialty/population of interest within the general child/adolescent sphere (anxiety, autism, LD, parent training, medical, etc)?
For younger kids, I see a lot of referrals for broad emotion regulation challenges (primarily anger) and anxiety, and love combining play therapy with parent training to support the family system as a whole. For older kids and teens, I primarily treat anxiety and depression, with some OCD and trauma referrals sprinkled in periodically. Assessment wise, the referrals I've gotten the most are ADHD questions, but have done a lot of LD/cog and adaptive assessments, as well.

One of my training goals while on internship is to get trained in the ADOS-2, but my site can't guarantee that opportunity. I've facilitated ASD assessments with my supervisor, but haven't been able to conduct any independently. All other assessments I've done entirely independently, from test selection to feedback. I've done 50+ assessments throughout my practicum experience and genuinely love it, though therapy will always be my first love!