Can I compete? Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dinozzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I just finished my post-bacc program at a small liberal arts college (that I went to right after finishing a B.A. in philosophy and math). I didn't do as well as a hoped, and ended up with most A-s, with a B in physiology, a B+ in cell biology and an A in genetics. In the end my gpa from the program will be a 3.62 (38 credits) .

I went to a great books college (St. Johns College) with an all required curriculum, so my GPA there ended up being a 3.62 as well. Basically a wash unless the person looking at my application knows about my college and that we all tend to have a sub-3.7 GPA due to the way we're graded (no exams or tests, professors pretty much just decide on your grade based on class participation). I have some shadowing experience from my time as a post-bacc, I also spent two months interning at a biotech company and have an LoR from the CEO that I assisted.

The good news is I am taking two years off. I will be taking the MCAT this time next year and then applying for the next cycle. My question is, where do I realistically stand now, what do I need to do to really bolster my application, what schools can I start looking at and what do successful applicants with average GPAs like mine do to make themselves more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Your post-bac grades are great! Now work on the self-esteem, and rock the MCAT!
If I could give you a hug across the internet, I would.

Also I came across your guide for applying to med school, which I'm using now to check/edit my list and as a guide for how I'll spend my time this year. Thanks for all the content you put up!

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing ≠ volunteering. Find an in-patient volunteer opportunity and commit to it for at least a year. Most programs are around 200 hours/year (1 4-hour shift per week).

Also, reach out to your professors now and let them know that you plan on applying in two years just so they have an idea when you hit them up out of the blue for a LOR (your LORs must be dated the year you're applying).

Finally, with two years to spare, make sure you kill your MCAT and that your Personal Statement is fully polished.