Where do I fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emailsemailsemails

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current graduate student studying public policy at Columbia. While I am interested in my courses and love the idea of helping draft policy that can help a wide range of people, I have recently had an epiphany about my field, and what I'd like to do with the rest of my life.

Since I was young, I've been interested in medicine but didn't know about actually going into the field. To dip my toes in, I took two semesters each of general biology and general chemistry, which kicked my ass, and I was persuaded into going into my other passion, which was political science. While taking those courses, however, I spent time volunteering at a local ambulance organization, worked at a hospital, and took an EMT course, all of which are some of my favorite memories of undergrad. The human element of medicine is something that I greatly admire, but I didn't think I had the intelligence to do well in the courses.

That was 6-7 years ago, and I've had a ton of experience since then. My performance in school had always been lackluster, so I started to think maybe there was something legitimately wrong with me. That was when, after many doctor visits and a meeting with a psychiatrist, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Taking that medication for the first time was like seeing a whole new world, and my performance in school increased. After that, and incorporating better study habits into my routine propelled me into even greater success when taking the GRE, which is how I ended up at Columbia.

I've looked back on those early days of college and thought that if I possessed the knowledge I have now, I could do infinitely better. So I sat down and had a conversation with a friend about it, someone who would really give me the blunt opinion on it, and she said that I should at least give it a shot because it could be something I regret for years to come. I've been around premed students all my life, I've seen all the stress, pain, and depression this field has caused them, but I still want to pursue medicine wholeheartedly.

My question is, where do I fall when it comes Post-Bacc programs? I don't want to do a DiY as I like the structure and resources these actual programs offer, but one thing I see constantly is that they don't like it when you've previously taken premed courses before. Someone even said that I wasn't actually a career changer due to the fact that I took Biology and Chemistry 1&2 (at a community college mind you), and that I should look at career-enhancer programs, but this doesn't make any sense to me as I haven't studied natural sciences in over half a decade and have solely studied and had jobs in the political field.

If anyone could help answer my questions, that would be appreciated. I look forward to being a part of this community!

Members don't see this ad.

you'd probably be a good contender for career changer programs. as to which ones, depends on your gpa and GRE/SAT/ACT

Reactions: 1 user
you'd probably be a good contender for career changer programs. as to which ones, depends on your gpa and GRE/SAT/ACT
Thank you! I graduated with a 3.3cGPS (which I hope to talk about on my essay), and my GRE was in the 88th percentile for Verbal, 68th percentile for Quant, and 80th percentile for Writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @emailsemailsemails, I also took 3 pre-req courses during undergrad, even having to repeat one of them because the university I transferred to didn’t accept my community college course. I agree with the above that asking the programs wouldn’t hurt, except for one caveat I experienced— I also emailed the PBPM career-changer programs I was interested in bc like you, I wasn’t sure if I’d qualify. All of the programs said that as long as I had taken no more than half or it’s been more than 5 years, I was good to go. One of the programs told me that I had taken too many to apply. I almost didn’t apply to this specific program, but last second decided to just go for it anyway because their website was vague about that and this was the school I really wanted to go to. I ended up getting into that program with a scholarship, and am all set to move there in the summer. I think your 3 classes from many years ago won’t disqualify you from a career-changer program! Best of luck!!

Hi @emailsemailsemails, I also took 3 pre-req courses during undergrad, even having to repeat one of them because the university I transferred to didn’t accept my community college course. I agree with the above that asking the programs wouldn’t hurt, except for one caveat I experienced— I also emailed the PBPM career-changer programs I was interested in bc like you, I wasn’t sure if I’d qualify. All of the programs said that as long as I had taken no more than half or it’s been more than 5 years, I was good to go. One of the programs told me that I had taken too many to apply. I almost didn’t apply to this specific program, but last second decided to just go for it anyway because their website was vague about that and this was the school I really wanted to go to. I ended up getting into that program with a scholarship, and am all set to move there in the summer. I think your 3 classes from many years ago won’t disqualify you from a career-changer program! Best of luck!!
Hello! I actually saw your comments in another thread, as Goucher is probably my top choice for schools! I'll be applying next cycle, so if you have any tips on how to apply, and also your overall thoughts on the program in a couple months, please feel free to message me!

Hello! I actually saw your comments in another thread, as Goucher is probably my top choice for schools! I'll be applying next cycle, so if you have any tips on how to apply, and also your overall thoughts on the program in a couple months, please feel free to message me!
Hi, sure thing! And likewise, please feel free to DM me if you have any questions. Good luck with prepping your app!