Can I Count This As Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pstevens606

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a nosejob, and I became pretty familiar with the plastic surgeon I worked with. I talked with nurses, saw his office, etc

Can I count this as shadowing experience? Should I email the surgeon first asking if its ok?

He's a top, extremely busy guy, so I don't feel comfortable asking him if I could officially shadow him.

thanks peeps

Members don't see this ad.

No it doesn't.

Come on, are you going to go through life awkward and afraid? Just email him thanking him for his help, expressing your interest, and asking if you can shadow him. What's the worst that can happen. A big fat "no" that ruins your life? Pssh! How are you going to get anything you need in life without going out of your comfort zone? How else are you going to get shadowing, letters of rec, a lab job, huh? It's not a big deal, you'll be fine :)

I sent an email to him about how the scars weren't fading....he replied a bit curtly. Did that mess up my chance of shadowing him, or should I still ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask, I shadow a plastic surgeon and can tell you how unbelievably busy they can get. The short reply was probably because everyone asks the same question, and he most likely has a boatload of patients to see. The curt reply most likely doesn't have anything to do with you.

For me, I really just cold-emailed the surgeon explaining who I was and that I was interested in shadowing. Just be polite, and respectful about it! Some places have policies that don't allow for it, but the worst case is he says no.

I sent an email to him about how the scars weren't fading....he replied a bit curtly. Did that mess up my chance of shadowing him, or should I still ask?

How would you respond if someone sent you an E-mail telling you your work isn't as good as they expected?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you understand the concept of shadowing.

You have scars from a nose job? Don't they typically do nose jobs from the inside?

How would you respond if someone sent you an E-mail telling you your work isn't as good as they expected?

Ughhh I didn't mean it rudely. I'll just send him an email I suppose.

You have scars from a nose job? Don't they typically do nose jobs from the inside?

Not mind, there's a small scar beneath the tip of the nose.

Ughhh I didn't mean it rudely. I'll just send him an email I suppose.

Not mind, there's a small scar beneath the tip of the nose.

Just curious, how long ago was the nose job? The scars from what I have seen last months really before they go away and scar revisions are always nifty. He really probably just gets the question asked multiple times a day and isn't a big deal since it doesn't really speak to the quality of the work but more so is a common concern people have.

Just curious, how long ago was the nose job? The scars from what I have seen last months really before they go away and scar revisions are always nifty. He really probably just gets the question asked multiple times a day and isn't a big deal since it doesn't really speak to the quality of the work but more so is a common concern people have.
It was a week since getting stitches out. I expected a thin, pencil-line scar. Instead it was a triply crossed "T" that looks like Frankenstein. I freaked out and emailed him.

I had a nosejob, and I became pretty familiar with the plastic surgeon I worked with. I talked with nurses, saw his office, etc

Can I count this as shadowing experience? Should I email the surgeon first asking if its ok?

He's a top, extremely busy guy, so I don't feel comfortable asking him if I could officially shadow him.

thanks peeps

Did you really just ask if being a patient counts as shadowing?

1b7b986bb10951213bfa19c25a67555e.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
that does not count... lol...

just ask him. not knowing is worse than rejection.

Its not like youre asking a cute girl/guy out. Its just like asking for a favor

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN bro, typically not the place for gentle advice. But I'll never take being called a top-of-the-foodchain doc that rakes in the cash as an insult.

Welcome to SDN bro, typically not the place for gentle advice. But I'll never take being called a top-of-the-foodchain doc that rakes in the cash as an insult.
You misunderstand, beta. I was being sarcastic.

thanks peeps

You should definitely email the surgeon and ask if going under the knife and talking to his nurses counts as shadowing. You know, just to see what he says.

Or should I just find another surgeon?

Or should I just find another surgeon?

In all seriousness, just ask the dude if you can shadow him. The worst that will happen is he says no. You'll have to learn to put yourself out there in a lot more awkward situations than this as you progress, so you will need to learn to deal with it.

In all seriousness, just ask the dude if you can shadow him. The worst that will happen is he says no. You'll have to learn to put yourself out there in a lot more awkward situations than this as you progress, so you will need to learn to deal with it.
Is it really disrespectful to complain about a scar? I mean it is literally huge.

Is it really disrespectful to complain about a scar? I mean it is literally huge.

That completely depends on your ability to judge how big it actually is, the accuracy of your self perception, how expectations were set by the surgeon before the procedure, the pride of the surgeon, and about 10 other factors that I would have no ability to know anything about. If you're that worried about it then find someone else to shadow.

You misunderstand, beta. I was being sarcastic.
you too, good luck matching into ortho :caution:

Just a piece of advice: cut down on the ornery sarcasm; it will go a long way on these boards. You asked an absolutely brainless question and actually got some good answers.

If you aren't happy with the procedure it's probably going to affect your/his opinion of one another and you should probably shadow someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

It really depends on how you go about the complaining. There is a huge difference between a you saying that you were hoping the scar would be a smaller and asking if there was anything you can do for this, and saying something along the lines of why the hell do I have a huge scar what did you do to my face.

If you were polite, and genuinely curious then you probably didn't come off as rude... really just ask him if he would be open to having you shadow him because you are interested in plastics

Down goes the OP. Good riddance
Almost felt bad for giving him a hard time... almost.

Curious though, that he's afraid to send an email and running around calling people beta

Reactions: 1 user