Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can I deduct miles in-between hospitals?

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by Jocomama, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Jocomama

Jocomama Make 'em bleed!

Attending Physician
    The art of knowing what to deduct. Classic rule that you need to think about as a resident, especially with > $3/gallon.
    When you are rotating at different hospitals, after you leave the first hospital (say you came for am conference before going to VA) - you deduct the miles from hospital 1 to hospital 2 to home (within day).

This applies to home call also when you drive back in - nice!

But use a daily planner and mark the miles, ALONG with your odometer reading.
    It adds up!!

More deduction items to come in the future

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Subject to itemized deductions at year's end and the 2% AGI floor of course.

4. spalatin

spalatin Member

Attending Physician
    Ahhhh. But will I get hit with capital gains tax if I fill my gas tank and hence double the value of my car? :laugh:

5. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    From my limited understanding you can deduct any location after the 1st location you've driven from.

So if you need to go to 3 places in 1 day, any distance after the first location is deductable.

But from what I understand you need to document where you went to, and on what days.