Can I do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi anyone that can help,

Currently I am a junior and I want to take 5 years to graduate, and I was wondering if I apply to medical school now, can I defer for one year because I wont have graduated yet. OR would I just not be accepted because I cant graduate in time to enter in to medical school? I have a 3.7 and a 34. Has anybody heard of somebody doing this, or even going through this themselves.

thanks
a

Members don't see this ad.

surfbro said:
Hi anyone that can help,

Currently I am a junior and I want to take 5 years to graduate, and I was wondering if I apply to medical school now, can I defer for one year because I wont have graduated yet. OR would I just not be accepted because I cant graduate in time to enter in to medical school? I have a 3.7 and a 33. Has anybody heard of somebody doing this, or even going through this themselves.

thanks
a
I wouldn't do this. That's a whole year to make your app more competitive with EC's.

this might be a little off topic, but..brettbachelor, each time when i see your avatar, i can't stop laughing.
the guy's face is funny...ha.ha.what is up w/ his face? ha..ha.
okay, i'll stop before i make a fool of myself.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EDIT: i'm not making fun of ur pic..but really..it's hilarious!! :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you had to show you will graduate in order to apply to med school...? Am I missing something?

surfbro said:
Hi anyone that can help,

Currently I am a junior and I want to take 5 years to graduate, and I was wondering if I apply to medical school now, can I defer for one year because I wont have graduated yet. OR would I just not be accepted because I cant graduate in time to enter in to medical school? I have a 3.7 and a 33. Has anybody heard of somebody doing this, or even going through this themselves.

thanks
a

There is no logic in doing this. I agree with BrettB -- use the year to make yourself an even better applicant, have more to put in the app, be able to come off more mature in the interviews (because you will be a year older) etc. Then apply. There is no benefit gettin in someplace earlier than the year you are ready to attend. And deferrals are not even granted as a matter of right anyhow -- don't assume you can get one from most places.

Some schools will absolutely require a BS or BA by the time you matriculate (i.e. the year after you apply!) Just apply during your 4th year as you normally would (i.e. regular timing of application cycle).

e_phn said:
this might be a little off topic, but..brettbachelor, each time when i see your avatar, i can't stop laughing.
the guy's face is funny...ha.ha.what is up w/ his face? ha..ha.
okay, i'll stop before i make a fool of myself.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Um, okaaay... I always thought that was a picture of Brett himself. It wouldn't surprise me that he'd put it there. The picture itself speaks of confidence, intelligence, and diligence IMO, although I can see some elements of anal-retentitiveness underneath all that.

crazy_cavalier said:
Um, okaaay... I always thought that was a picture of Brett himself. It wouldn't surprise me that he'd put it there. The picture itself speaks of confidence, intelligence, and diligence IMO, although I can see some elements of anal-retentitiveness underneath all that.

we are living in a free country.
it's okay to have a little laugh, right?

i hope i didn't offend anyone.
it's not like i'm teasing him or anything.

crazy_cavalier said:

The picture is of Tucker Carlson, a television pundit.

I'd advise against this. Just wait the extra year and apply then. A lot of school's aren't big on deferments, especially when it could have been prevented.