Can I get an MPH during military medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorDoctor.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say I'm doing the HPSP program in the U.S. Army. But I want to pursue an MPH as well (don't ask me why. I have my reasons). However I've heard that an MPH should probably be done after medical school as opposed to before it as you'll be able to make more use of it that way (retained knowledge, accelerated 1 year program meaning less debt, etc.)

Does the military allow this? Let's say I was accepted to an MPH program at Columbia, Emory, Tulane, etc. Can I take a 1~2 year break from the military to pursue this degree? Can I do it before starting my residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not. But if you do a residency in Prev, Occ, or Aviation med you can get your MPH that way.

No, the HPSP contract specifically states that it will not cover extra degrees, nor will you be allowed a break to pursue a Master's.

If you sign up and do your time, you can use your VA benefits to obtain the degree at the end of your payback. Two of my colleagues started using their GI bill benefits during their last year of payback to get their MBA through predominantly online programs (FSU and UNC, I think).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you pursue the residency in aviation medicine (RAM), you will earn your MPH in addition to becoming BE for occupational medicine.

Didn't know that.

RAM is at like 62% manning, so basically anyone who wants it can have it.

I think that they lost their occ med board. I'd check before going under that assumption.

I know many RAMs and they all agree:
1) RAM is valuable if you anticipate being career military and...
2) it is serving as a second residency

Most agree that it not a residency you would want as your only residency...because of difficulty making 0-5 and 0-6, along with its poor transfer to civilian life.

It's value is is that it allows you to avoid the malignant military hospital and serve your time in the fleet.

I think that they lost their occ med board. I'd check before going under that assumption.

I know many RAMs and they all agree:
1) RAM is valuable if you anticipate being career military and...
2) it is serving as a second residency

Most agree that it not a residency you would want as your only residency...because of difficulty making 0-5 and 0-6, along with its poor transfer to civilian life.

It's value is is that it allows you to avoid the malignant military hospital and serve your time in the fleet.

He is Army so manning and Navy RAM changes don't necessarily apply to him. However, as I previously stated any residency in Prev, Occ, or Aviation will get the MPH.

He is Army so manning and Navy RAM changes don't necessarily apply to him. However, as I previously stated any residency in Prev, Occ, or Aviation will get the MPH.

The Army RAMs do their training in Pensacola, FL with the Navy. Yes, he will get an MPH.

The Army RAMs do their training in Pensacola, FL with the Navy. Yes, he will get an MPH.

They won't be together in Pensacola much longer ...