Nov 22, 2010
Status
Graduated from UCLA with a Biochemistry degree in the spring with an overall GPA of 3.0 and a science GPA of 2.9. The only redeeming quality of my application is that I got a 99% on the PCAT. Can I get into at least one school in the US or would I be wasting my time and money applying? Thanks for your time

Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Graduated from UCLA with a Biochemistry degree in the spring with an overall GPA of 3.0 and a science GPA of 2.9. The only redeeming quality of my application is that I got a 99% on the PCAT. Can I get into at least one school in the US or would I be wasting my time and money applying? Thanks for your time

the PCAT is high. So yes, just look at the newer schools, Why was your GPA so low?

iZodliquify

7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2009
NJ
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If you have some Pharmacy relate ECs then yes. Plus you'll have a degree.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
You can definitely get in. Apply broadly and you'll get in to something with that PCAT, unless you blow the interview.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't stress you can definitely get into pharmacy school.
You already have a degree.
PCAT is ridiculously high.
GPA really isn't that bad, I know quite a few people who got in with a 2.8-3.0 with a less than avg PCAT. I'd say if there is still time to squeeze in EC's or volunteer work, do it.

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Chapel Hill
Background: I have a 99% on the PCAT, a BA & MS in Chemistry (3.3/3.5), taught Gen Chem & Organic Chemistry, and almost 3 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry.

From personal experience, the non-PCAT schools on the West Coast (where my partner and I moving this spring after finding out where he's matching for residency) completely ignore the PCAT. I would think that your GPA is a little low for out-of-state pharmacy schools or pharmacy schools that ignore the PCAT.

You will surely get in somewhere, but I don't think that you will get in everywhere solely because of your GPA.