Can I get into Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go back to school to try to get into Dental school?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

drewest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated with a History degree in 2009 with a 2.2 gpa. Took a few science courses with a C average in those courses.

Decided to get a degree in accounting at a different college in 2011. Graduated in accounting with a 3.54 g.p.a. in 2012.

I have been thinking about going back to school (at the college I received my accounting degree) to take science courses to get into dental school. Also been thinking about retaking those courses I had a C in during college from my first major.

Is it possible to get into dental school? What should I do? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake those science courses, do well on the dat, and you'll be great. But you have to be scoring 3.7+ on your sciences from here on out...

Reactions: 1 user
Though scores are very important, because (to adcoms) it is something they look at to determine how well you well you do in dental school, I believe the most important thing is why you even want dentistry in the first place. As long as your reason is legit, you will be okay. Your accounting degree may also stand out among others because dentistry, though it is still medicine, as a huge business aspect to it.

I am not sure of your overall or science gpa but if this is something you truly want to do, keep at it. Come into this field because you truly want to. The debt for dental school is enormous so do not take that aspect lightly.

For what I feel you could do to improve yourself:

- Shadow!! Shadow lots and lots to get a feel of whether you want this. When you're shadowing ask your dentist about what they find rewarding and what they find challenging. See what they love or
dislike about their job.
- Try your best on all of your science classes as that's all you will see in your future. You will really need to develop an interest for science, if it's not for you,
wrong field.
- If you can (though definitely not required because I didn't do this), try to get experience working in a dental practice.
- Volunteer! Extracurriculars help you stand out. What I did was the typical shadow at a hospital for so many hours but then I felt that volunteering something because you genuinely wanted to was more important. Doing something from the kindness of your heart is much more meaningful.

I hope that some of this helped you. If you ever had any questions PM me. Maybe others here can add some more tips that they think would be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user