Can I get into Optometry School with a misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All about eyes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Like a year ago I went to a store with a friend and to make a long story short, we were stopped by a security guard when exiting the store because she had councealed some items in her purse. So, thanks to that I got a record. The big quetion is: Do I have a chance of getting accepted into any school with this problem? I have been doing some research and they will definitely wont accept a felony but it says nothing about a misdemeanor. Any thoughts? I was told that every school checks your record by the time you start working with patients. I do not know if I should mention anything about it on my 1st appliations or should I leave it for my secondary application????? My gpa is 3.45, and I have a lot of shadowing expirience. Optometry is my passion. Please, advice.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you will be okay getting into school.. u may want to mention it, or you may want to ask admissions to whatever schools you are interested in if you have to report any misdemeanors. Only reason they are particular about felonies, is that you cannot become a licensed doctor if you have a felony. So you would only be wasting your time (and money). That rule may vary from state to state.. not sure if its nation wide.

Thanks for your reply.
To be honest Im scare of including that info. on my first application. I do not want them to make a bad judgment about my person just based on that w/out even looking to all my achievements. Do you still believe I have to talk about the issue on my first app or should I wait for my secondary app? Please, advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not want someone who assisted in robbery, examining my precious eyes, even if that individual had a 4.25 gpa from a community college.

Sorry kiddo.

Hi there,

Like a year ago I went to a store with a friend and to make a long story short, we were stopped by a security guard when exiting the store because she had councealed some items in her purse. So, thanks to that I got a record. The big quetion is: Do I have a chance of getting accepted into any school with this problem? I have been doing some research and they will definitely wont accept a felony but it says nothing about a misdemeanor. Any thoughts? I was told that every school checks your record by the time you start working with patients. I do not know if I should mention anything about it on my 1st appliations or should I leave it for my secondary application????? My gpa is 4.25, and I have a lot of shadowing expirience. Optometry is my passion. Please, advice.:(

How does one get a 4.25 GPA in college?

Thanks for your reply.
To be honest Im scare of including that info. on my first application. I do not want them to make a bad judgment about my person just based on that w/out even looking to all my achievements. Do you still believe I have to talk about the issue on my first app or should I wait for my secondary app? Please, advice.

I think this is one of those things where if it's asked on an application or an interview you should honestly and succinctly answer the question. If it's not, I would not bring it up until asked. There's no point in drawing attention to something like this unless asked.

I think this is one of those things where if it's asked on an application or an interview you should honestly and succinctly answer the question. If it's not, I would not bring it up until asked. There's no point in drawing attention to something like this unless asked.

Excellent advice !

I would not want someone who assisted in robbery, examining my precious eyes, even if that individual had a 4.25 gpa from a community college.

Sorry kiddo.

Pretty quick and judgemental of you; good thing the decision isn't yours.

Thanks Commando for your words, but I have to be prepared for judgemental people as immemily to be sitting in the committe.

Thanks for your advise KHE,

That's definetily something they are asking on the application process. Would you think a better idea will be to meet with the admission people and explain the situation to them before actually applying, and see what they react? I think that way they will be actually looking at me and not just to a piece of paper. I believe they might be less judgamental that way. What do you think?

Sorry, it was a typo. The gpa is 3.45, and it is from a university not a community college; however, there are students I know that have super high gpa's. Do not know how, but they do have them.

Thanks for your advise KHE,

That's definetily something they are asking on the application process. Would you think a better idea will be to meet with the admission people and explain the situation to them before actually applying, and see what they react? I think that way they will be actually looking at me and not just to a piece of paper. I believe they might be less judgamental that way. What do you think?

If they're asking on the application then just put it in the application and tell the story pretty much the way you told it to us and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't understand how you got caught up in this if the stole something. If I'm online behind someone who holds up a bank teller I don't get arrested too. Why would you plead to something like that?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. If you didn't steal anything, you shouldn't have any type of conviction made against you.

As someone pointed out above, your major concern isn't really whether a school would accept you, but whether you would be eligible to become licensed with that type of record.

If they're asking on the application then just put it in the application and tell the story pretty much the way you told it to us and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't understand how you got caught up in this if the stole something. If I'm online behind someone who holds up a bank teller I don't get arrested too. Why would you plead to something like that?:confused:

Some major corporations will charge all that were with the person caught stealing. I know someone that was caught up in that, but walked away with a 'trespassing fine' Lucky for them.

But yeah, they theorise that if you were with the person you had to have known that they were stealing.

That was exactly what happend to me. I went with my cousin and her little 4 year old kid. When we were stopped and asked if we were together, we said yes. That was enough for the officer. When I started asking why he replied I should have known and to please not to resist the arrest (It is consider an arrest in paper because we were not encarcelated). My cousin started to cry and her baby too. I just was in shocked, did not know how to react just started walking with the officer. I think my mistake was not hiring a lawyer right away. Anyways, it happened. Now, I have to deal with the consequences.

Dear KHE as syma said below " Some major corporations will charge all that were with the person caught stealing". That was exactly what happend to me. I went with my cousin and her little 4 year old kid. When we were stopped and asked if we were together, we said yes. That was enough for the officer. When I started asking why he replied I should have known and to please not to resist the arrest (It is consider an arrest in paper because we were not encarcelated). My cousin started to cry and her baby too. I just was in shocked, did not know how to react just started walking with the officer. I think my mistake was not hiring a lawyer right away. Anyways, it happened. Now, I have to deal with the consequences.

Dear Optogal,

As syma mention " Some major corporations will charge all that were with the person caught stealing, they theorise that if you were with the person you had to have known that they were stealing. My major concerned is not to become licensed because I know I will. So, far the law says that the only way you wont get your license is if you have a felony. As in my question was well stated my concern is regarding school, not license, but I appreciate your comment.

Dear KHE as syma said below " Some major corporations will charge all that were with the person caught stealing". That was exactly what happend to me. I went with my cousin and her little 4 year old kid. When we were stopped and asked if we were together, we said yes. That was enough for the officer. When I started asking why he replied I should have known and to please not to resist the arrest (It is consider an arrest in paper because we were not encarcelated). My cousin started to cry and her baby too. I just was in shocked, did not know how to react just started walking with the officer. I think my mistake was not hiring a lawyer right away. Anyways, it happened. Now, I have to deal with the consequences.

But an arrest isn't a conviction. Did you plead guilty to this? If so, WHY?

Weird.

Dear KHE,

I was charged by I was not convicted. The final disposition in my case was NOLLE PROS-COURT OPT, meaning the case was dismissed. All I wanted was for all that nighmare to end.

Last edited:
Honestly that was foolish...that is like one of us accused of rape that we didn't do it and saying we did a plea deal because "we just wanted it to go away". You could have used a public defender so it wouldve been free. At this point there is only one way to find out if it affects you for school..apply and see what happens. I wouldnt lie about it either..however that being said they usually ask about felonies not misdemeanors. So getting arrested for underage drinking doesn't prevent someone from being an OD etc... Call the school and ask anonymously...all of us conjecturing is a waste of time.

Agree. Pleading guilty was foolish, but you can't change that now. In college, my university had a big pre-med program, and we were all required to sit through a 3 hour orientation session about a variety of topics. The whole misdemeanor thing was covered. They said you could still become a doctor, but not to hide it and be sure not to get a second one for any reason. Like KHE said, be honest and let the chips fall where they may. Also, it has to go on the primary OptomCAS application, and I believe the wording was "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" in which case you would have to list it. I don't remember if it was mentioned on any of the secondaries (and while you have to do secondaries, they rarely cover anything that isn't on the primary).
Also, OptomCAS takes time to get the primary sent out to schools, and most of my interview offers came before OptomCAS even sent out my application based on the information on my secondary. So don't worry about whether it is on the primary making a bad "first impression" because it may not be the first impression they get. Also, I agree with the previous poster who said to get in contact with the schools anonymously to find out for sure because only they can tell you how they feel about it.

Thanks for your comments. I was charged but there was no conviction. The case was dismissed.

Thanks for your comments. I was charged but there was no conviction. The case was dismissed.

If there was no conviction, doesn't that mean there was no guilt?

By my understanding, I think you have no record. There is no fault in being arrested for anything - there is only fault if there is a conviction and record.

If there was no conviction, doesn't that mean there was no guilt?

By my understanding, I think you have no record. There is no fault in being arrested for anything - there is only fault if there is a conviction and record.

Right. Since it was dismissed you would have an arrest on your record, but no misdemeanor.. with all applications it asks if you have been convicted of, found guilty, etc... so since you weren't found guilty, I would not mention it as it is unnecessary.

Here's the relevant question exactly as it is asked on OptomCAS:

Have you ever been convicted in any state or country of a criminal offense, other than a minor traffic offense, where you have been found guilty by a judge or jury or entered a plea of nolo contendere (no contest) or plea bargain; any juvenile offenses; any offenses where the records have been expunged; or any conviction that the applicant is currently appealing, regardless of adjudication?

At first, I would've said that it probably wouldn't have to be addressed but of course they make the question so all encompassing that maybe you may need to mention it. Others can debate but it does ask you to list it if you entered a plea of no contest which it sounds like you did. Then they also throw in "any juvenile offenses" or "offenses where the record has been cleared". Based on that you'd have to declare yourself a criminal even if you got written up for littering.

It'll be up to you as to whether you want to mention it or not. I say that if there is an official record of it some where that could show up on a background check, then maybe you might have to. Doesn't mean you don't have a chance though (although it would be best of course to not have any marks on your record in this area).