Can I include research from undergrad six years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AvsPearTree

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i graduated back in 2015 as a Chemistry major and I conducted research from the second semester of my junior year into the end of my senior year. Even though its been practically six years since I've completed it, can i still include this research into my application? Or is that just a moot point now?

Sorry for two of the same post, my ISP is trying to make me look bad.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm hesitant about this.

While I'm not raining on your research experience, are you just putting research experience just to appear more diverse? A dated experience can be valuable if it is maintained long-term, as it shows commitment, drive, and passion. But if not, it could backfire unless research fits into your narrative and ongoing theme of your story about "why you want to be a doctor". Personally, I don't think you should use an older experience if it doesn't flow with your narrative, as the experience (compounded with the fact that it is dated) can give you negative attention.

Just my .02. I'm not on Adcoms. Good luck on your app!
 
I would add it in. Just as you took courses back then you also participated in research.

If you didn't include it and an adcom somehow found out they may even question why you didn't add it. "Is this person difficult to work with/have problems during their research and they don't want us to know about it?". "Did they totally absolutely fail at research and they don't want us to know about it?"

Plus, there is a small possibility someone interviewing you has a commonality with the research you participated in. This could spark a conservation during an interview. The conversational (not forced conversation) interviews always stick in my mind as better (I interview prospective residents and fellows, but not prospective med students though).