Medical Can I leverage aid to attend dream school or should I attend cheaper, in-state school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been extremely fortunate - Thanks to the unconditional kindness and wisdom on these forums from adcoms like Goro and others - to complete my re-invention and hold multiple acceptances in this cycle. I have been admitted to my top-choice/dream program (a public, OOS school) as well as to an IS public school. I am humbled to even have a shot at either. The difference in COA over 4 years is over $120k, but I would love to attend my dream program. If it matters, they are both T40 MD programs (not that I really care about that but just to contextualize my inquiry).

Would it be wise to email the dean or financial aid office (not sure who it would best) stating that I will commit to their institution if they could lower the cost difference or match tuition? Would it be best to wait until April? I understand the award packaged won't be crafted until later next year, but I am curious how to best approach this respectfully and sincerely. By no means do I want to sound entitled but I figure it is an important factor.

Thank you all so much once again for all your wisdom and help in this process.
It can't hurt to try to get more aid. But if you don't, go to the cheaper one, hands down.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your response. Would you think it is best to address the email to the dean of admissions, financial aid department, or both?
My understanding is that aid is completely separate from admissions and might even be decided after acceptance.

Also, T40 is the same as saying "Any MD in the US"

Honestly, you have a be a catch in order to try the bidding war shtick. Like, Harvard/Standford class caliber candidate. Wake isn't going to care that you have an offer at U Miami, or vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.