Can I match into EM with 218?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I messed up on my step 1 and got a 218. I really love emergency medicine though. I currently have one finished research project with no presentation or publication. I'm sure I can do better on step 2 but as of right now, I was wondering what are my chances of matching into em. I go to a U.S M.D state school that is about mid to bottom tier. How important is it for me to look for more research opportunities? And when is a good time to take my step 2 so that I can have my best chances of matching into em?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would get some very good answers posting this on the ED assistant residency director AMA thread?

Good luck!

You can match into EM with a Step score of 218. Some more competitive programs might be out of your league, but who cares? You'll still get great training!

The NRMP releases a document called Charting Outcomes in the Match every 2 years. The most recent edition came out in 2016, with the results of the March 2016 Match, but a 2018 version is expected to be released in September and may or may not show a trend toward higher Step scores. My guess is that scores will be higher, but not absurdly so. Anyway, the full PDF is here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf , but the relevant chart is at the bottom of this post. Point is, lots of people matched with a Step score in that range.

Research is unlikely to make or break your application (it may help some, but it's not a major form of currency in EM). Instead, your SLOEs are going to be the most important part of your application - click here for more info if you're unfamiliar with the idea.

Make sure you take Step 2 CK early enough that you'll get your score back before September 15, so that program directors can immediately see it on your ERAS application.

If you can get involved with national organizations like the EMRA student council, or go on Wilderness Medicine trips, or do other interesting things with your life, that will help round out your application as well.

upload_2018-5-14_20-34-16.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ok thank you for all the answers!

Reactions: 1 user
You can but it will be hard. Need to dominate step 2, get good clinical grades, get an honors in EM with a great SLOE.

You can match into EM with a Step score of 218. Some more competitive programs might be out of your league, but who cares? You'll still get great training!

The NRMP releases a document called Charting Outcomes in the Match every 2 years. The most recent edition came out in 2016, with the results of the March 2016 Match, but a 2018 version is expected to be released in September and may or may not show a trend toward higher Step scores. My guess is that scores will be higher, but not absurdly so. Anyway, the full PDF is here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf , but the relevant chart is at the bottom of this post. Point is, lots of people matched with a Step score in that range.

Research is unlikely to make or break your application (it may help some, but it's not a major form of currency in EM). Instead, your SLOEs are going to be the most important part of your application - click here for more info if you're unfamiliar with the idea.

Make sure you take Step 2 CK early enough that you'll get your score back before September 15, so that program directors can immediately see it on your ERAS application.

If you can get involved with national organizations like the EMRA student council, or go on Wilderness Medicine trips, or do other interesting things with your life, that will help round out your application as well.

View attachment 233987

Exactly. I've been harping on this for what seems like forever on these boards. Everyone thinks that boards make or break your app and they don't. If you listen to conventional advice, anything below a 240 and you need a backup plan. That's laughable coming from the community EM side, where most of the applicants don't have USMLE score above that. 210-220 had a 90% match rate. That's hardly bad odds. The key is knowing your competitive window and targeting programs within it, along with getting good SLOEs. Below average board scores are easy to overcome as long as you are a decent human being and are good clinically. Will you match at the best program in the country with a 218? Nope. Will you match in EM, you should easily, assuming you get a few good SLOEs.

Reactions: 1 users