Can I match to IM with asylum status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zz45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a tricky question. I am an IMG and I may need to seek asylum status soon as I can't return to my country but I am afraid that it might hurt me in the match next year (I will be an asylee and not yet a permanent resident). A friend told me that he tried to match two years in a row and failed. When he asked one PD the reason, he replied that they purposely do not take asylees/refugees (the reasons were unclear to me). Does anyone know about this? I am interested in matching to a decent program, preferably in the New York area, but, of course, I will be happy to match anywhere decent...

Any info would be really appreciated Thanks and best!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I have a tricky question. I am an IMG and I may need to seek asylum status soon as I can't return to my country but I am afraid that it might hurt me in the match next year (I will be an asylee and not yet a permanent resident). A friend told me that he tried to match two years in a row and failed. When he asked one PD the reason, he replied that they purposely do not take asylees/refugees (the reasons were unclear to me). Does anyone know about this? I am interested in matching to a decent program, preferably in the New York area, but, of course, I will be happy to match anywhere decent...

Any info would be really appreciated Thanks and best!

What about a J1 visa?

I sympathise with your quandary, but I'd imagine PDs would be quite reluctant to deal with the kaleidoscope of issues that come with asylum status. Your best bet definitely entails getting a J1 visa - appeal to embassy, etc.

Thanks so much for your reply! What do you mean by the 'issues that come with asylum status?' forgive my ignorance, but this is all totally new to me.