Can I Net $4K Per Day Owning A General/Cosmetic Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osahon7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Am curious! I wish to have a General and Cosmetic Practice in California, Beverly hills or Los Angeles! Can I Net $4k per day after all Expenses??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much do think its feasible to net per Day?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much do think its feasible to net per Day?
Most dentists produce about $350 per hour or so. Assuming 100% collections (lol) and an 8 hour work day, that's $2800. Take out ~65% for overhead, and you can keep $980. If you're the owner.

This will not be typical for southern California.

EDIT: Not a mathematician

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
You want to take home $4k/day in LA, trust me, this is the wrong profession for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If you can find enough patients who all day, everyday want to pay you what is likely far above the going rate and then especially in the area that you mention, be able to sustain the big overhead you're likely looking at to help "convince" the patients that the premium price you're charging them is also consistent with the premium service and in office experience that they're likely expecting for the costs, well then sure, you can net 4k a day.

The reality is though that the vast majority of practices out there won't be doing that

Most dentists produce about $350 per hour or so. Assuming 100% collections (lol) and an 8 hour work day, that's $2800. Take out ~65% for overhead, and you can keep $1820. If you're the owner.

This will not be typical for southern California.
Your maths should say "keep $980" after the 65% ($1,820) overhead, as an owner.

Reactions: 2 users
You expect to make over a million a year take home as a general dentist? You're in for a shock. Especially with all the saturation.

Reactions: 1 users
You expect to make over a million a year take home as a general dentist?

I know a general dentist who does that- he's not in a saturated area, and he's done very well for himself.

I know a general dentist who does that- he's not in a saturated area, and he's done very well for himself.
I don't doubt it is possible. But that dentist is more of an anomaly than a common occurrence. If you go into dentistry expecting that odds are you will be very disappointed. What state does the dentist practice in?

California.
Nice I'm staying in MN think I can get 8k a day? Haha I wouldn't know what to do with all that. Nor do I want it. I'd probably donate a sizable portion of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice I'm staying in MN think I can get 8k a day? Haha I wouldn't know what to do with all that. Nor do I want it. I'd probably donate a sizable portion of it.
I have few friends in Minneapolis area who are doing very well with their private offices. All general, 1 is netting $1M+, but he sacrificed a lot of his time from his family time and better quality of lifestyle to get there. That's the side effect of the uber earners in this profession.

I've actually considered moving to Duluth when I'm older. What are your thoughts?
Yus!!! Super beautiful up there I've contemplated going up there after school as well. Either that or the Brainerd area I like them both and love the lakes around the areas. I'd definitely consider it! Also MN nice is definitely a thing!

I have few friends in Minneapolis area who are doing very well with their private offices. All general, 1 is netting $1M+, but he sacrificed a lot of his time from his family time and better quality of lifestyle to get there. That's the side effect of the uber earners in this profession.
That's awesome good for them! I probably won't be spending anymore time around the Twin Cities after I graduate though. I'm more of a small town type of person.

How easy would it be to pick up cross country skiing?

I've already checked out what oral surgery practices exist up there. I could live like 20 minutes northwest of Duluth so I'd have that commute to the Duluth branch of the offices, and there are practices that split time for docs between Virginia and Duluth. I wouldn't mind doing that.

I would also love to have weekend trip access to the Boundary Waters or perhaps even a small bare bones cabin up there for the summer time. Will I be able to ice fish there in the winter, or is it prohibited? Tasty venison to be hunted?

So many questions, and so many activities I want to incorporate into my lifestyle that I know nothing about. Minnesota is very appealing to me though, especially the more forested, rural areas like Duluth.
Plenty of ice fishing and one of the more popular hobbies in the winter for the region. Cross country skiing is pretty simple to take up and you would have more trails to explore in the area then you will time.

How easy would it be to pick up cross country skiing?

I've already checked out what oral surgery practices exist up there. I could live like 20 minutes northwest of Duluth so I'd have that commute to the Duluth branch of the offices, and there are practices that split time for docs between Virginia and Duluth. I wouldn't mind doing that.

I would also love to have weekend trip access to the Boundary Waters or perhaps even a small bare bones cabin up there for the summer time. Will I be able to ice fish there in the winter, or is it prohibited? Tasty venison to be hunted?

So many questions, and so many activities I want to incorporate into my lifestyle that I know nothing about. Minnesota is very appealing to me though, especially the more forested, rural areas like Duluth.
Cross country skiing is easy to pick up and there is an abundance of trails around there. You can definitely ice fish pretty much anywhere in Minnesota along with hunting. If you are by Duluth you will have no issue with it. Also the snowmobiling up there is amazing (Minnesota wise) they get boat loads of snow due to the lake effect. I had a friend snowmobile on some nice trails in late march this year. Keep in mind this is northern Minnesota. He was probably two hours north of Duluth. I haven't had the opportunity to visit the Boundary Waters soon but that is a goal by the end of Dental School.

If ur willing to move to a rural area in Cali like Selma, Porterville, or whatever than you can maybe make a killing. Then again... Selma is a craphole and so is Porterville lol

If ur willing to move to a rural area in Cali like Selma, Porterville, or whatever than you can maybe make a killing. Then again... Selma is a craphole and so is Porterville lol
Are you saying Rural Dentist makes more??

Are you saying Rural Dentist makes more??

I said maybe.

Supply and demand.

Where there are low supplies of Dentists and there is a high demand for them.... the sky is the limit.

Watch dentist dr. kevin sands on netflix's Celebrity Plastic Surgeons of Beverly Hills. It'll get you dreaming

Everyone knows a general dentist who pulls in huge amounts of money. This is not the norm. If you think you have the discipline to make that even remotely likely, I suggest specializing. At least pure sustained effort can get you there. There are a lot of variables (many of which are out of your control) to making more than an average dentist income as a generalist.

And $4,000 a day net? Really?

GL (really)

The typical dentist will make $4-6k take home a day few times a year when he/she gets those big cases. But when you average the numbers for the slow days, it will be closer to $1-2k a day. That's the reality.

It's really easy to net $1K or $2k a day. $4k is possible...I did one year but would never do again. Life to too short to destroy your health for wealth. And later you'll pay back with your wealth to try to regain your lost health, plus all that lost time you'll never get back. It all evens out in the end. Time flies QUICKLY so enjoy your life, your health, your family.

Reactions: 4 users
It's really easy to net $1K or $2k a day. $4k is possible...I did one year but would never do again. Life to too short to destroy your health for wealth. And later you'll pay back with your wealth to try to regain your lost health, plus all that lost time you'll never get back. It all evens out in the end. Time flies QUICKLY so enjoy your life, your health, your family.
There is this dentist in his early 60's who owns couple of practices in my town. I went to school with his daughter, and he works 6-7 days a week. Yes, six to seven days a week! His doctor has even told him to take it easy, but man... You wouldn't pay me enough to do that, and I'm in my 30's. My quality of life improved from 6 days a week to 4.5 days schedule by many folds.

The number 1 regret of retired people today is that they should have worked less and enjoyed more of life with family, friends and most of all on themselves.

Dental students and new dentists, frame this comment.

Reactions: 1 users