Can I Prescribe Myself Exercise? I am a resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a resident, and I have a history of pre-diabetes. The management of this condition is diet and exercise. My Health Savings Account states that fitness center memberships can be paid from the HSA if there is a legitimate medical reason for the patient requiring the fitness membership. This is to be documented by physician prescription.

My situation seems pretty clear-cut legitimate.

Can I do that myself? Write "patient requires a cardiovascular exercise plan for state of Pre-Diabets for which a fitness facility membership would be beneficial"? Or should I avoid doing this as I am an intern?

Attendings reading this - would you object or feel poorly about a resident asking you to sign a prescription saying "this is an Rx for exercise"?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a resident, and I have a history of pre-diabetes. The management of this condition is diet and exercise. My Health Savings Account states that fitness center memberships can be paid from the HSA if there is a legitimate medical reason for the patient requiring the fitness membership. This is to be documented by physician prescription.

Can I do that myself? Write "patient requires a cardiovascular exercise plan for state of Pre-Diabets for which a fitness facility membership would be beneficial"? Or should I avoid doing this as I am an intern?

Attendings reading this - would you object or feel poorly about a resident asking you to sign a prescription saying "this is an Rx for exercise"?
Have one of your coresidents do it.

Reactions: 5 users

In general, it’s sort of a bad idea to prescribe yourself anything (especially as an intern this year in your training) and your insurance would be reasonable to deny the claim. Many do it, but it’s easy enough and more legitimate to ask a colleague. You have enough coworkers in EM, ask them if you must.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask a faculty member. Do not ask your resident colleagues for care. Everything a resident does must be supervised (if you only have a training license). Somebody will be willing to do it for you. Or ask someone in Occ Med.

Reactions: 4 users
Faculty member chuckled and signed it

Reactions: 2 users

I was in your shoes and asked the attending. That was more appropriate according to my resident and the attending.