If I reapply for the match as a current resident, would my current residency find out? I am thinking about applying for other specialties and PGY2s.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021acc117

Reaction score
Hi all, I am just wondering if as a current resident if I were to reapply to the match, would my current residency find out? I am reapplying to try to see if I could get another residency spot in an area near my home. I just don't want there to be awkwardness between my current residency and myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am just wondering if as a current resident if I were to reapply to the match, would my current residency find out? I am reapplying to try to see if I could get another residency spot in an area near my home. I just don't want there to be awkwardness between my current residency and myself.
Virtually all programs will expect to see a letter of recommendation from your current PD before interviewing you. Do not expect to be applying to places without your program finding out, it is an unrealistic expectation.

Reactions: 8 users
Virtually all programs will expect to see a letter of recommendation from your current PD before interviewing you. Do not expect to be applying to places without your program finding out, it is an unrealistic expectation.
My question is if I officially apply for the match or soap, would my program find out even if I didn't include a LOR from my PD?

No, there is no automated way for us to know. But as already mentioned, it's a really bad idea. Many programs will simply trash your app without it. You'd need to make sure you don't sign a contract for the next academic year before the match (else it's a match violation). You'll need time for interviews. Using letters from only medical school and none from your current program will not go well, and if others at your program know, your PD is likely to find out. Your PD finding out from someone else will also make things more complicated for you.

Reactions: 6 users
No, there is no automated way for us to know. But as already mentioned, it's a really bad idea. Many programs will simply trash your app without it. You'd need to make sure you don't sign a contract for the next academic year before the match (else it's a match violation). You'll need time for interviews. Using letters from only medical school and none from your current program will not go well, and if others at your program know, your PD is likely to find out. Your PD finding out from someone else will also make things more complicated for you.
Exactly this. Academic Medicine is a small world.

Sneaking out of a program leaves then a resident short without giving them an opportunity to fill, which is pretty messed up. Fulfill your commitment or at least tell your program.

Reactions: 3 users
It seems that this same poster (OP) posted a question about clinical competencies a couple months ago, and it seems he/she was deficient in some areas. There is likely more to the story here, and that may be why he/she is trying to determine if they can switch programs without the PD knowing.

I would agree with others that if you are trying to find a new position in a way to avoid having your PD know (and to try and hide some struggles/deficiencies you are having in your current program), I don’t think that will work. Eventually I would think they are going to get in contact with your current program somehow, and it would be far worse at that point if you haven’t provided any head’s up.

Reactions: 1 users

You could hide it but your application to any respectable residency is dead on arrival without a letter of support/acknowledgement of good standing from your program director.

If you haven't done anything egregious to warrant your current PD hating you, brace for the awkwardness and ask the PD. They prefer now rather than later, but ultimately just be genuine. There is a risk you run into a malignant PD. They do have a lot of power over residents, but unless you've done something wrong I would just talk with them.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were a PD at a program to which you applied and I saw that you were already a resident somewhere, I would 100% call your current PD to ask about you (assuming your app didn't get ignored due to not having a PD letter). Heck the PD at my program is getting calls all the time about our residents applying to fellowships right now and they did have letters from him. There's no chance your current PD doesn't find out and, as stated by others, things will be way more awkward if he/she didn't hear it from you.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users