Can I recover from this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CountSpockula

KHAAAAN!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of inspiration/motivation to get back on the right track. I am just entering my Sophomore year. I am a non-traditional student, single mom to one child (with pretty severe medical issues), and I work full time. Needless to say, my plate is overflowing right now. This semester, I had the 'brilliant' idea to take a full load of classes while working full time. I had a family emergency come up just as the semester was beginning, and I ended up getting so behind in two of my classes, that I decided to drop them. I have a few other W's and a couple low grades on my transcript from my fist couple of semesters before I really even gave a career in medicine a thought. I'm worried that my recurring sketchiness when it comes to school is going to bite me in the behind later on. This semester has been particularly hard, and I'm really finding myself questioning this whole idea to go to medical school in the first place. I'm not having trouble understanding the material in the classes, I just find myself having difficulty focusing, especially in the middle of the semester when I'm burnt out (causing me to procrastinate like a mofo!). I've taken a couple upper level science classes and excelled at them, so I know I have it in me, I just need to find a way to overcome the burnout and procrastination.

Can I come back from this craziness? I know it will be an uphill battle, especially with all the W's and low grades I have to repeat, but is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone, just hang in there. If you really want to become a physician, then you can always find a way. It will be very difficult, especially since you not only have to be a great student and worker but also a mother, leaving you with virtually no free time.

Search deep in your soul, can you handle the whole workload? What about being a part time student? Do you have family to lean on in hard times or are you by yourself? If you think it just won't work out for you the whole medical school process but are still interested in healthcare then I would suggest becoming a nurse or physician assistant. These careers have shorter paths but good pay and job security.

The road is full of thorns and is very long, but remember every accomplishment you witness through all of your hard work will be an inspiration for your child, so just hang in there and do what is best for you. Hope this helped!:)

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of inspiration/motivation to get back on the right track. I am just entering my Sophomore year. I am a non-traditional student, single mom to one child (with pretty severe medical issues), and I work full time. Needless to say, my plate is overflowing right now. This semester, I had the 'brilliant' idea to take a full load of classes while working full time. I had a family emergency come up just as the semester was beginning, and I ended up getting so behind in two of my classes, that I decided to drop them. I have a few other W's and a couple low grades on my transcript from my fist couple of semesters before I really even gave a career in medicine a thought. I'm worried that my recurring sketchiness when it comes to school is going to bite me in the behind later on. This semester has been particularly hard, and I'm really finding myself questioning this whole idea to go to medical school in the first place. I'm not having trouble understanding the material in the classes, I just find myself having difficulty focusing, especially in the middle of the semester when I'm burnt out (causing me to procrastinate like a mofo!). I've taken a couple upper level science classes and excelled at them, so I know I have it in me, I just need to find a way to overcome the burnout and procrastination.

Can I come back from this craziness? I know it will be an uphill battle, especially with all the W's and low grades I have to repeat, but is it possible?

Oh man, that sounds very busy/crazy! I hope things settle down for you.

Two thoughts.

1- Can one rebound from this? Sure.

2- Will you rebound from this? Unsure. By that I mean, can you expect things to be any different in the future? What about if and when you get into med school, who will be able to care for your child who has need of extra attention?

I am going into school as a father, but I cant imagine doing it as a single father.

So, to be clear, I don't want to say it can't be done, but I would say that it is very unlikely that someone will be able to handle medical school as an only parent, especially of a child with extra needs.

So, talk to people you trust and see what options are out there for you. Good luck!

(med school is not for everyone, and thats OK!)

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your GPA? You probably can recover. Stop doing stupid **** like taking a full set of classes and working full time. It's all about getting straight A's if you want to go to medical school. No one is going to care if you've had a hard life if your GPA is a 2.0.

If you're just entering sophomore year then you still have plenty of time to do well in future classes and make your transcript look strong. I think you answered your question yourself. You have the brains and ability to do it, you just need the energy, so you need to find out what works best for you considering how much you're dealing with. Maybe a lighter class load, a few less hours at work, someone watching the kid a few extra hours, and so on.

Find that happy medium of work, school, and family and you'll be fine:thumbup:

Two thoughts.

2- Will you rebound from this? Unsure. By that I mean, can you expect things to be any different in the future? What about if and when you get into med school, who will be able to care for your child who has need of extra attention?

I am going into school as a father, but I cant imagine doing it as a single father.

So, to be clear, I don't want to say it can't be done, but I would say that it is very unlikely that someone will be able to handle medical school as an only parent, especially of a child with extra needs.

So, talk to people you trust and see what options are out there for you. Good luck!

Good point!
Gotta think of what to do when you get IN med school and have even less time for your child.

What's your GPA? You probably can recover. Stop doing stupid **** like taking a full set of classes and working full time. It's all about getting straight A's if you want to go to medical school. No one is going to care if you've had a hard life if your GPA is a 2.0.

images

Two thoughts.

I think HalfListic said some pretty great advice.
You can absolutely rebound from your situation. Many medical students had a sketchy semester or two. Just get better at studying/time management/etc etc from here on. You've still got plenty of time between now and applying to schools to rebound. However... as HalfListic mentioned.. medical school is not for everyone. You can't work full-time while in medical school and you will have to have a plan for your child during the day and while you're studying. This whole road seems like it may be an uphill battle for you. Difficult, but not impossible!
Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the advice, guys!

First of all, I do have a very strong support system of both family and friends. My daughter's father IS in the picture where she is concerned and even though we are not together anymore, he is still very supportive of my career aspirations. We've discussed it at length, and he is more than willing to take her for the entirety of medical school. As of now, he has a job that requires him to be gone for extended periods of time which is why I have her most of the time. That is going to change soon, so I'll get a bit more free time with regards to that.

I just wanted to make sure that all this GPA repair wasn't going to be in vain. I want this so bad, not only for me, but for my daughter. Her complex medical condition is the reason I have set my focus on medicine.

Just out of curiosity: how much is too much with regards to retakes and grade replacement? Is there a cutoff?

Also, to answer a question from a previous poster: my GPA right now is 2.9. I only have two grades right now that are sub-par. It's the W's I'm most worried about.

Also, to answer a question from a previous poster: my GPA right now is 2.9. I only have two grades right now that are sub-par. It's the W's I'm most worried about.

You are just fine. You could re-take two full semesters even.

Make sure you set yourself up to get A's and then put in the time! If you are determined, you can do it. Retake any C+ and below as well as the W's

:thumbup:

(edit: also, I dont see anything about the MCAT, but give yourself enough study time for that to do well on it the first time. You do NOT want to need to retake it)

Honestly, I haven't put much thought into the MCAT yet. Isn't the test changing soon to include social sciences? I want to make sure that I focus on my hardcore science classes so I master the subject matter to the fullest extent. Should I start studying for the MCAT at the beginning of Junior year?

Honestly, I haven't put much thought into the MCAT yet. Isn't the test changing soon to include social sciences? I want to make sure that I focus on my hardcore science classes so I master the subject matter to the fullest extent. Should I start studying for the MCAT at the beginning of Junior year?

I'd say take it after Junior year. And yes, its changing in content in 2015 I believe, to include more social sciences (and I think more emphasis on gen and stats and less on phys and ochem)

Give yourself a few months (2-3 max) to study, but dont overdo and burnout. You can plan specifics later, but its good to keep it in mind as you study for each class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say take it after Junior year. And yes, its changing in content in 2015 I believe, to include more social sciences (and I think more emphasis on gen and stats and less on phys and ochem)

Give yourself a few months (2-3 max) to study, but dont overdo and burnout. You can plan specifics later, but its good to keep it in mind as you study for each class.

Personally, I would also recommend, given the change, taking it in 2014, before the change. It may not be make it more difficult, but for sure it will be uncharted territory, so the first year or two will be shaky. I would try my best to take it before the change.

Personally, I would also recommend, given the change, taking it in 2014, before the change. It may not be make it more difficult, but for sure it will be uncharted territory, so the first year or two will be shaky. I would try my best to take it before the change.

Good point, but one of my concerns is the amount of time the results of the test would be valid. Aren't MCAT results only good for 3 years? So, if I were to not get in my first cycle (which is always a crappy, but possible outcome), wouldn't I end up having to take it again before the next cycle? Do all schools adhere to the 3 year rule? I'm only applying DO, and my goal is to get in somewhere on the West Coast because all of my family is here. I will be applying to LMU-DCOM too when the time comes because I have a lot of family in TN also.

Good point, but one of my concerns is the amount of time the results of the test would be valid. Aren't MCAT results only good for 3 years? So, if I were to not get in my first cycle (which is always a crappy, but possible outcome), wouldn't I end up having to take it again before the next cycle? Do all schools adhere to the 3 year rule? I'm only applying DO, and my goal is to get in somewhere on the West Coast because all of my family is here. I will be applying to LMU-DCOM too when the time comes because I have a lot of family in TN also.

It depends on how long before you intend to apply. For example if you are applying in 2015, I would take it at the end of 2014, because you'd have 3 whole cycles to apply (I don't think many people try more than that). If you are applying in 2017, then I would take it after the change, because you'd only be able to apply for 1 cycle if you take it in late 2014 and then you'd have to retake it. If you are applying in 2016, it would be a toss up, because you could apply for 2 cycles with that score, but if you applied a third time, you'd have to retake it for most schools (a couple actually make the limit 4 years).

Also, what I mean by late 2014 is after September, basically in the middle of your Junior year. Most people I know take it sometime between the end of their sophomore year and the May before their senior year (that's usually the year they apply). This is usually after the pre-reqs. I'm a non-trad though, so I took it right before I applied.

Last edited:
Two thoughts.

I am a single mom of two boys. My youngest is on the autism spectrum (he's high-functioning) and has a primary immune deficiency. I'm also a 3rd year.

It is possible - but, NOT easy!!

To the OP: My suggestion is this - is there any way you can cut back on hours at work? When I was in undergrad, I only worked as a work study (so a maximum of 20 hours a week, and on campus between classes). I took 19 - 21 hours / semester. I got divorced, then started undergrad - so I've done both undergrad and medical school as a single mom.

Retake the classes you got W's in and any other poorer grades; attempt to get your GPA up as high as possible. Do ECs. When it comes time for your MCAT - smash it. Study a good 2 - 3 months for it, then take it and do very well on it.

Another suggestion I do have for you when you actually go to apply for medical school - look at services in the area of the school for your child's medical needs, whatever they may be. Make sure that your school is in an area that has things your child will need. Also, once accepted, if you need to move for school - move at the beginning of the summer (a couple of months before medical school starts). This will give you a chance to get whatever services you need actually set up - doctors, daycare, etc., etc. It will also give you and your child a chance to get acclimated to the new environment. I would also suggest start living your medical school schedule prior to school starting, but after you have services lined up. This will further acclimate your child and you to the schedule.

If you have any questions, send me a message - I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck!!

I am a single mom of two boys. My youngest is on the autism spectrum (he's high-functioning) and has a primary immune deficiency. I'm also a 3rd year.

It is possible - but, NOT easy!!

To the OP: My suggestion is this - is there any way you can cut back on hours at work? When I was in undergrad, I only worked as a work study (so a maximum of 20 hours a week, and on campus between classes). I took 19 - 21 hours / semester. I got divorced, then started undergrad - so I've done both undergrad and medical school as a single mom.

Retake the classes you got W's in and any other poorer grades; attempt to get your GPA up as high as possible. Do ECs. When it comes time for your MCAT - smash it. Study a good 2 - 3 months for it, then take it and do very well on it.

Another suggestion I do have for you when you actually go to apply for medical school - look at services in the area of the school for your child's medical needs, whatever they may be. Make sure that your school is in an area that has things your child will need. Also, once accepted, if you need to move for school - move at the beginning of the summer (a couple of months before medical school starts). This will give you a chance to get whatever services you need actually set up - doctors, daycare, etc., etc. It will also give you and your child a chance to get acclimated to the new environment. I would also suggest start living your medical school schedule prior to school starting, but after you have services lined up. This will further acclimate your child and you to the schedule.

If you have any questions, send me a message - I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck!!

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately for me, my livelihood depends on my job, and cutting back hours is not an option. However, I will be taking fewer credit hours next semester and in semesters to follow, so the workload should be more manageable. My work is very flexible with taking time off for appointments, exams and even allows me to do a bit of studying during slow times. We have several employees here that are working on their PhD's so it's an environment that is very passionate about advancing employees educationally. My child suffers from a pretty severe disorder resulting in adrenal insufficiency, but it is well managed with constant medication. Are there schools out there that are more family friendly than others? So far the plan is to have my child stay with their dad during medical school so I can focus solely on getting through, but plans fall through all the time, and it would be nice to get involved in a school that understands that family issues do arise.

This depends on the school, which is why I recommended taking in 2015. Unless you are a physics and ochem wiz, you'll be just fine with new format.

You should browse the CIB (or google your fav schools name + CIB) which has MCAT policies for each school. MANY schools are only accepting 2 year old test scores. Many 3 years, some up to 5 years.

But, dont limit yourself and dont rush to take it just to avoid the new format. Again, unless you are a physics/Ochem wiz, the new format will likely even benefit you.

And I'm glad you are thinking about having their father take a primary caregiving role during your med school years. If you can keep your head down and work hard for a few years here, you'll be able to look back on a pretty big accomplishment.

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately for me, my livelihood depends on my job, and cutting back hours is not an option. However, I will be taking fewer credit hours next semester and in semesters to follow, so the workload should be more manageable. My work is very flexible with taking time off for appointments, exams and even allows me to do a bit of studying during slow times. We have several employees here that are working on their PhD's so it's an environment that is very passionate about advancing employees educationally. My child suffers from a pretty severe disorder resulting in adrenal insufficiency, but it is well managed with constant medication. Are there schools out there that are more family friendly than others? So far the plan is to have my child stay with their dad during medical school so I can focus solely on getting through, but plans fall through all the time, and it would be nice to get involved in a school that understands that family issues do arise.

Yes, there are schools that are more family friendly than others. Some have really strict attendance policies, my school is one of those; however, what they will allow you to miss class/reschedule some exams (within reason) is that if you or your child has a legitimate medical appointment. My school happens to require that if you know about the appointment you have to fill out a paper requesting the time off (they have always approved time off for my son's appointments), and then a copy of a doctor's note when you return - this will then be an "excused" absence. Of course, they prefer if you attempt to schedule appointments during time off (of which there usually is some, even with lectures lasing a good portion of every day). I suppose if you have to be gone a lot the school might frown upon it; or if your grades are suffering, they will most certainly have something to say about it. There are other schools that do NOT have mandatory attendance, which can make it somewhat easier.

Hi everyone,

What you need to do is go with all the medical documentation to the dean of the college/department where you dropped the classes. Some deans will see this and decide that your factors merit that the Ws earned during that semester be erased entirely.

Best of luck.

What you need to do is go with all the medical documentation to the dean of the college/department where you dropped the classes. Some deans will see this and decide that your factors merit that the Ws earned during that semester be erased entirely.

Best of luck.

Woah, seriously? Is that possible? It never occurred to me that that was possible/anyone would do that. Doing that could have changed my life...

Woah, seriously? Is that possible? It never occurred to me that that was possible/anyone would do that. Doing that could have changed my life...
Yes, definitely possible. My co-worker had a row of Fs from a semester when she was hospitalized for the last 6 weeks of class. She went to the dean with documentation and the entire semester was wiped off. This was at a UC campus if you're wondering.

Yes, definitely possible. My co-worker had a row of Fs from a semester when she was hospitalized for the last 6 weeks of class. She went to the dean with documentation and the entire semester was wiped off. This was at a UC campus if you're wondering.

Wow, that is crazy. I never thought something like this was possible. That would be great because I had one semester in particular where my child was hospitalized in the PICU for 2 weeks because of a combined Norovirus and Influenza illness which caused a full out Adrenal Crisis. Needless to say, I ended up super behind and decided to just withdraw from those classes. It would really help out of I could exponge that whole mess.