Can I retake the MCAT before my last one is graded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DenTony11235

I'm planning on retaking it after I get results if they're bad but I feel like I'm ready right now and really don't have time to relearn the material starting next month.

Members don't see this ad.

You should check if there are any available seats first... I know that in my area, all the ones from June-August have their seats filled..

What if you take it again, only to find out you had a good score the first time? I'd schedule it for after your first results, then cancel if they're better than expected. I thought I bombed it but I actually did great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I've thought it out. My main problem was that I took the 1 pm exam and I usually wake up around 830, not to mention I had a really bad night of sleep so I was very groggy taking the exam, which I feel hindered my efforts on the thought evoking questions.

I'd think a retake can't hurt me, if I feel I didn't do better the second time around, I'll just void it and wait for my first results.

Problem with waiting for scores to come out is that I'd start forgetting material, and at that point I'll have my full time job and other priorities. It'll be so hard to be up to speed.

Everyone comes out of the exam not feeling great about it. I have not talked to anybody that walked out and was like "yeah I killed that exam!". It's mentally draining and really gets to you, so I would also personally wait until the results come back and decide from there.

I would plan a date after the results come in, but in the mean time just study to keep all the material retained. Since you are pretty much prepared, you will not have to spend nearly as much time and the studying should only help you if you need to take the next one.

Everyone comes out of the exam not feeling great about it. I have not talked to anybody that walked out and was like "yeah I killed that exam!". It's mentally draining and really gets to you, so I would also personally wait until the results come back and decide from there.

I would plan a date after the results come in, but in the mean time just study to keep all the material retained. Since you are pretty much prepared, you will not have to spend nearly as much time and the studying should only help you if you need to take the next one.

This is what I keep telling myself. But I really do feel as if I could've done better had I had a normal night of sleep and taken the earlier exam. I really do.

If I feel I do worse ill void it. With that in mind, the worst case would be that I get roughly the same score. Would adcoms see a problem with that?

This is what I keep telling myself. But I really do feel as if I could've done better had I had a normal night of sleep and taken the earlier exam. I really do.

If I feel I do worse ill void it. With that in mind, the worst case would be that I get roughly the same score. Would adcoms see a problem with that?

Yes, I think adcoms would see a big problem with taking an MCAT a month after the first MCAT and getting roughly the same score. That's part of that "good decision making" thing.

Again, how you feel at the end of the exam while you decide to void is skewed badly because not many people feel good coming out of the exam. So in theory you might have done really well, but you will not feel that at the end and you might void an exam where you got a great score.

And agreeing with jonnythan, it might not reflect too well about your decision making to take an exam so early before the scores even come out.

Well it wouldn't be a month after. It'd be roughly 2 weeks after. And i think it's a good decision, explainable by saying that I really didn't feel 100% that day, that I'd be really busy working my seasonal summer job that I need I pay back my student loans by the time the score comes out, and that I had nothing to lose from two of the same scores (worst case scenario).

Well it wouldn't be a month after. It'd be roughly 2 weeks after. And i think it's a good decision, explainable by saying that I really didn't feel 100% that day, that I'd be really busy working my seasonal summer job that I need I pay back my student loans by the time the score comes out, and that I had nothing to lose from two of the same scores (worst case scenario).
Why don't you just keep up on your review of the sciences till your score comes out? That's what alot of people do.
Even if you feel you can explain it to ADCOMs you have no idea how they are going to interpret your explanation?
Also what happens if you ended up knocking it out of the park (35+) and then you retake it again without seeing your score? It will make you seem like a perfectionist and ADCOMs do not like that!

If you felt that poorly going into, or coming out of, the exam, you should have voided then immediately signed up for the next test date. I understand your situation here, but wait for the score report.

If you felt that poorly going into, or coming out of, the exam, you should have voided then immediately signed up for the next test date. I understand your situation here, but wait for the score report.

Yea I thought about it for roughly 2 seconds and decided what the heck.

I'll try to keep reviewing the material and take it later if anything. Thanks guys.

Why don't you just keep up on your review of the sciences till your score comes out? That's what alot of people do.
Even if you feel you can explain it to ADCOMs you have no idea how they are going to interpret your explanation?
Also what happens if you ended up knocking it out of the park (35+) and then you retake it again without seeing your score? It will make you seem like a perfectionist and ADCOMs do not like that!

That doesn't seem like a good decision.

What if you take it again, only to find out you had a good score the first time? I'd schedule it for after your first results, then cancel if they're better than expected. I thought I bombed it but I actually did great.

Lol 37

Reactions: 2 users