Can I shadow a ophthalmologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! Long time reader but first time posting!
I am hoping to apply this cycle but still need to shadow more.
I was wondering, does most schools allow you to shadow a ophthalmologist? Do you think the admissions committee like it when you shadow one? Would it go under optometric experience for application?

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed multiple ophthalmologists (in addition to the required optometrist shadowing hours) and I believe that they saw that as a benefit to my application. They want to make sure that you understand the difference between optometrists and ophthalmologists and why you personally chose to pursue optometry school rather than medical school. It may even be an interview question, so be prepared to articulate your reasoning. I listed all of my shadowing under "shadowing" in the experience section.

Reactions: 1 user
I shadowed multiple ophthalmologists (in addition to the required optometrist shadowing hours) and I believe that they saw that as a benefit to my application. They want to make sure that you understand the difference between optometrists and ophthalmologists and why you personally chose to pursue optometry school rather than medical school. It may even be an interview question, so be prepared to articulate your reasoning. I listed all of my shadowing under "shadowing" in the experience section.
Thank you for replying!!, I will be contacting them to ask if I can shadow the doctor. How many hours did you shadow a opthamologisT? Like how many hours a day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for replying!!, I will be contacting them to ask if I can shadow the doctor. How many hours did you shadow a opthamologisT? Like how many hours a day?

I shadowed around 40 hours between 3 optometrists, a couple hours of observing LASIK/PRK, and around 20 hours between 2 ophthalmologists. I think it was around 7 hours a day for 3 days.

Reactions: 1 user
I shadowed around 40 hours between 3 optometrists, a couple hours of observing LASIK/PRK, and around 20 hours between 2 ophthalmologists. I think it was around 7 hours a day for 3 days.
Is it normal to shadow for 7 hours a day? I was thinking shadowing for 2-3 hours!