Can I still be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabe doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always had a dream of becoming a doctor but I have hearing aids. The problem is will I be able to use a stethescope or what? Help!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are you will be fine! Theres some poeple on this board who have incredable stories of overcoming physical problems and still succeeding! Expecialy if you want to go into helping poeple with hearing related problems, poeple want doctors they can relate too!

I wish you the best of luck

Yeah, you should be fine. I am legally blind, and I have managed to get accepted to two places so far.

You may want to think about Western University in Pomona, California if you have serious doubts. It is an osteopathic medical school, and they do not have technical standards. They really seem to do whatever is necessary to ensure someone can make it through the program. They had a completely blind person graduate from there, and he is now in his third year of a psychiatry residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a family physician who is heavily involved in medical education at the University of Michigan who has worn hearing aids his whole life, I think. I think he does use some kind of aide to help with his stethoscope, but I'm not 100% positive how it works. In any case, don't let it stop you!

Ya , dont worry im half ******ed, two glass eyes, a peg leg, and one testicle ...and I got in.