Can I still match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RurMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allopathic student 220 STEP 1 first try, yet to take either STEP 2 exam. Below average student, mostly B's, some C's, but did not fail anything. I am worried that I will not match neurology because I think I got a satisfactory (C) in fourth year neuro clerkship. Am I doomed or can I still match if I apply broadly? I got neuro-ICU course I am taking now followed by internal sub-internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Allopathic student 220 STEP 1 first try, yet to take either STEP 2 exam. Below average student, mostly B's, some C's, but did not fail anything. I am worried that I will not match neurology because I think I got a satisfactory (C) in fourth year neuro clerkship. Am I doomed or can I still match if I apply broadly? I got neuro-ICU course I am taking now followed by internal sub-internship.

Yes you can if you apply broadly. And go on plenty interviews. You might not end up at your top choice, but close to it. Try to take step 2 before October so you can show the interviewers how much you improved.

Last year, out of 390 U.S. seniors, only 10 did not match into neurology. Average Step 1 was 230 +/- 10. Average Step 2 was 240 +/- 10. Score around 240 or higher on Step 2 and you will be fine! Apply broadly.