Can I switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply MD/PhD to a few schools (like six). On my amcas I marked "regular MD" for all the schools... but the schools I called told me that it wasn't a problem. That I could mark MD/PhD on my secondary and just notify amcas at my leisure. So that's not a problem....

My main concern is that I don't have enough research... I have 2 summers of "real" research (both at places with known-names) and one summer psuedo-research (i.e. I worked for a research lab, but didn't do all that much related to hard-core research).

I haven't been published.

Is this enough to be considered? I'm a white female with a 3.76 and a 34Q.

I've talked to MD/PhDs that have even less research experience than me, yet when I talk to some other people... they've been like published 3 times... so I don't know what to think...

Members don't see this ad.

as long as you enojy reserach, and you can demonstrate that you understand what you are doing on more than a technical level, there is no reason not to consider it. your numbers are certainly competitive - whatever that means. almost all secondarys have a section for md/phd which you don't have to ask for - in fact none of them require you to designate it on amcas despite that option. you just have make sure that you have the letters etc... to fullfill their requirements, and start thinking about a statement regarding your intention to pursue both degrees. being published is most certainly not a pre-req, but is nice if you have it. i believe vader didn't have a pub when he applied (he can speak for this of course), and he mopped up the game - along with others. if you're gunning for harvard-mit mdphd then it wouldn't have to have a 3 or 4 JBC first authors ;). goodluck - enjoy!
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't select MD/PhD for Northwestern, it wasn't an option on the AMCAS form. Alot of schools don't really start differentiating MD from MD/PhD applicants until they get secondaries anyways (you'll notice which schools do notice when you get your secondary requests).

You sound like a competitive applicant with your research experience and numbers. Good luck!

I would apply, everything looks good to me, just make sure you really want to do MSTP and be able to articulate your research well and you will be fine;)

Most interviewers I talked to understood the difficulties involved with getting published as an undergrad. While I haven't been published, I was able to say that my work was either in the publishing process (for the later interviews) or was going to be published eventually. As an undergrad, getting published very often is determined by the circumstances you happen to be in. What really matters is that the faculty that you've worked with think very highly of you. That is far more important than your publication record.

Good luck,

Adam

Go for it RP!! :) If I don't get accepted to any MSTPs, I can blame you and your amazing stats. :p