Can I take Cell Bio without evolution/ecology/human biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed MCB (General Bio 1 ) this quarter, and would like to take cell biology at an upper division level next quarter.

For those who've taken Cell Bio, is it doable without Ecology/Evolution/Basic Genetics (punnett squares, pedigree), and human biology?

Members don't see this ad.

imo it is for sure doable without ecology/evolution/genetics (I never took the first two, and took genetics afterwards). human bio I'm not sure...it was a prerequisite for cell bio at my school if that matters.

Reactions: 1 users
I took Cell Bio with just a General Bio background and had no major issues. It was actually pretty typical at my undergrad. People would generally take Genetics afterwards.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took Cell Bio with just a General Bio background and had no major issues. It was actually pretty typical at my undergrad. People would generally take Genetics afterwards.

What was covered in your general bio 1, if you don’t mind me asking?

At my college, genetics and biochemistry were pre-reqs for cell biology. Even with those pre-reqs, I felt like only a basic understanding of biology and biochem was needed to succeed in the course. But again, this was for my college and it may very different from yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
General Biology I (Intro to Cellular & Molecular Biology) was the only prereq for Cell Bio at my school and I felt that was fair. It is a great class for the MCAT - I say go for it,OP!