Jan 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, all. I have only one pre class left on my checklist, I plan to apply this cycle without it. Was told no problem at all as long as I finish everything before matriculation, which hopefully is in August next year.
The reason I have to delay this is I've already planned my summer at the beginning of this year. For fall, I have to work and make time for possible interviews. next summer will be my down time after everything is done.
We have like eleven local schools (universities + local community colleges)offer the same class, no worries about getting a slot to sit in and pass it on time.
When do you have to register for medical school? The time when I finish it will be somewhere around the end of July. I am applying to many out of state schools so we will need a little extra time to pack& move, drive to the place and get settled. Will it be too tight a schedule? If yes, then maybe I'll try to sqeeze in the spring semester.
I'm planning ahead, no way to assume a shoe in and will get admissions from somewhere. If its not happening this soon, I will apply again next year.
Thanks.

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I used to think it was okay as long as you completed all the required by matriculation, however I have found one school so far that wants the requirements done sooner: UC Davis.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/admissions/requirements.html

"Premedical requirements must be completed by January of the year of desired entry."

I have currently only read through the admissions information for the UCs and Harvard. But if one school makes an earlier requirement I have to assume that others may do the same so its best to check...

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
A few of the UCs want all classes done by Jan. It would have helped if you told us what class. I'd recommend taking the class via distance learning or at an extension campus (read "flexible schedule") so as not to wait till the very last minute. Most schools are ok with taking the class before matriculation, but why limit your options.

I used to think it was okay as long as you completed all the required by matriculation, however I have found one school so far that wants the requirements done sooner: UC Davis.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/admissions/requirements.html

"Premedical requirements must be completed by January of the year of desired entry."

I have currently only read through the admissions information for the UCs and Harvard. But if one school makes an earlier requirement I have to assume that others may do the same so its best to check...

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
A few of the UCs want all classes done by Jan. It would have helped if you told us what class. I'd recommend taking the class via distance learning or at an extension campus (read "flexible schedule") so as not to wait till the very last minute. Most schools are ok with taking the class before matriculation, but why limit your options.
What other UCs are those? I haven't come across any.

Also most schools don't accept pre-reqs that are taken online...

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
UCSF recommends it (as does UCLA). I guess that technically means it's not absolutely required (unlike Davis where it is). I agree that most pre-reqs are NOT accepted if taken online, but I have had the UNE online biochemistry class recommended to me by more than a few med schools that have a biochem requirement. It really depends on what class this is to be most helpful. Other than biochem, I agree that I would not take the class online.

What other UCs are those? I haven't come across any.

Also most schools don't accept pre-reqs that are taken online...

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
UCSF recommends it (as does UCLA). I guess that technically means it's not absolutely required (unlike Davis where it is). I agree that most pre-reqs are NOT accepted if taken online, but I have had the UNE online biochemistry class recommended to me by more than a few med schools that have a biochem requirement. It really depends on what class this is to be most helpful. Other than biochem, I agree that I would not take the class online.
Funny I never saw this on any of their websites.