Can I take prerequisite courses at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dutch84

Brain Lover
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already got my Bachelor's in psychology, but I need to take prereqs like Organic Chem and General Bio to get into med school. Is it OK for me to take them at a community college? Someone told me that a lot of schools won't accept classes taken at a cc. Which schools do?

Members don't see this ad.

I already got my Bachelor's in psychology, but I need to take prereqs like Organic Chem and General Bio to get into med school. Is it OK for me to take them at a community college? Someone told me that a lot of schools won't accept classes taken at a cc. Which schools do?

Please try to do a search. This has been discussed many times, including not too long ago, on this forum. Best of luck.

Please try to do a search. This has been discussed many times, including not too long ago, on this forum. Best of luck.

No, No, it needs to be discussed one more time. At the same time we need to discuss

2) Whether MD is better than DO
3) Whether someone with a low GPA can get into Medical School
4) Whether 40 is too old to apply
5) Whether you should have children during medical school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can take the time to type out those responses. Why can you not take the extra minute to type a real response. Why should he spend 10 minutes filtering through searches to find one that is similar to his own case when you can take a minute to respond? Especially since you already took 30 seconds to right a sarcastic remark? /end rant

To answer the OPs question well sir I personally couldn't say as I am not in med school. However, I have read numerous books on topics similar to this and while you CAN take the courses at a CC if they offer them it wouldn't look as good as if you took them from a 4 year school. I am in no way trying to sound credible as I already stated I do not know 100% just what I have read. Hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can take the time to type out those responses. Why can you not take the extra minute to type a real response. Why should he spend 10 minutes filtering through searches to find one that is similar to his own case when you can take a minute to respond? Especially since you already took 30 seconds to right a sarcastic remark? /end rant

That's what I get for using my "sweet" do a goddamned search reply.

My friend, after you've been on here longer than a week you will be singing a different tune. Even your pure soul will grow weary of seeing the same inane threads started by people with next-to no posts. At some point, that inner snark just comes bursting out of your chest like a bull out of the chute. It's a force of nature. I could go on, but my 30 second time limit is up.

Here's your answer OP: Yes, you can. No, you shouldn't. Also,

2) MD > DO >> Caribbean > PA = APN >> RN >>> CNA > Medical student
3) Yes
4) No
5) No, you shouldn't. But yes, you can.

I'm taking mine at a CC, as revolting as some of you may find it. In all the reading I've done on here I think I've heard of maybe half a dozen schools that don't want CC classes (Harvard, Case, Duke, I don't know, the most competitive ones from what I remember). But maybe there's more, I don't know, I'm not an authority.

The fact is I don't care about rankings, prestige, whatever. I want to go to medical school. Community college is a better fit for me at this moment in my life, and I feel like I'm getting a good education. That's enough for me. The MCAT is an opportunity for me to prove that I learned everything John Doe at X university did for 20% of the price.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking mine at a CC, as revolting as some of you may find it. In all the reading I've done on here I think I've heard of maybe half a dozen schools that don't want CC classes (Harvard, Case, Duke, I don't know, the most competitive ones from what I remember). But maybe there's more, I don't know, I'm not an authority.

The fact is I don't care about rankings, prestige, whatever. I want to go to medical school. Community college is a better fit for me at this moment in my life, and I feel like I'm getting a good education. That's enough for me. The MCAT is an opportunity for me to prove that I learned everything John Doe at X university did for 20% of the price.

Pretty much this. It varies by school, and it's not the easiest bit of information to get out of some schools. Many of the upper tier schools will tell you they don't want cc credits, but some of the not so upper tiers that don't take them will skirt around the truth if you call them, but their track record says no ;) Wake Forest and UF also do not like CC credits in the slightest.

No one finds it revolting. This has been discussed to death; you do you what you have to do to meet the prerequisites for matriculation. But given the option, as the OP seems to have, one should chose 4-year over CC. I'm thrilled that you're getting an 80% discount on your classes, but given the option I would want (and chose) to display my aptitude for medical school success in the most rigorous setting available, which a majority here feel is a 4-year institution. If getting prereqs at a CC was preferable, there would be schools that required you to take them at CC's instead of the other way around. If CC and 4-year were a direct equivalency, this thread wouldn't still get brought up as often as it does. The question would have been settled. I hope you do awesome on the MCAT and get acceptances hand-over-fist. However, I know that it's easier to directly control where you take prereqs than it is to strong-arm your way to a great MCAT score. I'm not bashing your choices, I'm just laying out what seems a rational way of thinking about the choice prima facie. Sure it's "OK" to get them at a CC. But is it better?

Yes, they will take the course, but yu must take one or 2 upper division BIO chem courses -only university has those.
Also it sometime depends on the school, but most school make it very easier for you to qualify if yu are a minority -if yu not black, mex, indian don't bother. They don't catorized minority, they use the word low income -or disadvantage background.
But all med school in california even pay for MCAT review, room & board for minority to help them qualify.
http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/prospective/premedical/?pgid=181

Last edited:
Original Poster -

Visit the website of each medical school you are interested in. The majority specify on their admissionss sites whether they do/do not take community college courses.

I have found that the majority of schools I am interested in do accept these courses.

As an individual in the workforce, community colleges offer more flexible scheduling, i.e. nights and weekend courses.

Interestingly enough, my general chemistry professor on the weekends, was a lecturer at NYU. There were 20 of us in his class at the community college while he was teaching 300 student lectures at NYU during the week. The value of the course at a 2 year school can be equitable.

However, do know that you better score well on your MCAT to erase any doubt admission committees might have regarding your prepatory work.

i asked Ohio State this same question since i live in columbus ohio. i was told yes you can take them at a CC, but you better do damn good on them. end quote!

:D

That's what I get for using my "sweet" do a goddamned search reply.

Here's your answer OP: Yes, you can. No, you shouldn't. Also,

2) MD > DO >> Caribbean > PA = APN >> RN >>> CNA > Medical student
3) Yes
4) No
5) No, you shouldn't. But yes, you can.

Hey there, honest question: Do you really feel that MD > DO and if so, why is this because legally speaking and educationally speaking MD = DO from everything I can read about it. Both are medical doctors with what used to be separate/divided philosophies on medicine and treating patients, but has since become practically the same exact thing and hardly any divide besides DOs learning to use their hands more...sounds wierd but I know you know what I mean lol. Anyways, just wondering how you'd logically explain why MD is "greater" since it would help me to understand other than the general bias with no backing. I have also read on these forums that DO schools take more non-traditional people, would you consider this a fault even though you yourself fall into this category? Again, seriously asking since the reasons I can think that they take more non-traditional people would be: Their philosophy originally called for people who had a more holistic idea of medicine and this generally brings in people with broader experience and non-traditional backgrounds which would in turn often create a situation where their past GPAs or possibly other life happenings would mean that they aren't as competitive in the traditional sense, but very competitive in the non-traditional sense (ie they went back to school and really did well, they have lots of experience in a related field). Any advice is much appreciated.

Ok I just realized that duh...of course there are MANY other discussions abt. this and maybe you'd rather not lol...but if you feel so inclined or feel you have something to say abt. it then please do.

Last edited:
No, No, it needs to be discussed one more time. At the same time we need to discuss

2) Whether MD is better than DO
3) Whether someone with a low GPA can get into Medical School
4) Whether 40 is too old to apply
5) Whether you should have children during medical school

<BEGIN TROLLING>

2. Neither; MBChB (Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae) is much better
3. Anything under about 3.5 (8/9) here during the pre med year you're screwed
4. No
5. You can, but you might not want to

</END TROLLING>

Again, anything is possible...but in order to maximize your chances a 4yr college is preferred by many medical schools.

I don't know what schools you plan on applying to, but I had the chance to speak with adcoms from UCLA and UC-Riverside during a panel Q&A and both of them said there is a trend in more students taking pre reqs at CC - Both schools have no issues with it.

Yes, you can if you are able to take responsibilities.

Here is my reasoning for asking; I already have a bachelors in Business Administration but in my hopes to pursue medical school, I need more math and science classes. I will be paying out of pocket and could use the cheaper credit hours to assist me.

Corey

My state has only one medical college and it is by far my best shot. The four-year university I am currently enrolled in has the highest acceptance rates for our states medical college. This university has an agreement with one of the larger community colleges, where they are happily accepting students who have obtained an A.S. degree from the CC. I believe I received a decent education from my local CC, however, it in itself WAS NOT SUFFICIENT for preparing me for medical school. I am feeling the growing pains now as I face much greater challenges in very quick succession. My CC was easy street in comparison. I am keeping my head above water but it is taking much more from me than I could have imagined at my CC. It is worth it; it is necessary. If you decide to go to a CC, my suggestion is to mimic what it would take at a 4-year. You had better be working, shadowing and volunteering at the same time. That's the time commitment it will take if you were taking these classes at a four year, at least from the average non-trad student perspective.

I hope you make the best decision FOR YOU and that you find success where ever that may take you. Also, being young, having a high MCAT and high GPA isn't EVERYTHING. My friend was brilliant and cocky. She had a 3.95 GPA, aced her MCAT and was denied on her first attempt. It has to do with personality, resilience, and humility. If they aren't humble, they won't learn, so what's the point in the school spending so much time and money to teach them?

Here is my reasoning for asking; I already have a bachelors in Business Administration but in my hopes to pursue medical school, I need more math and science classes. I will be paying out of pocket and could use the cheaper credit hours to assist me.

Corey

Yes it still rings true.

The thing is that there are significantly more applicants than spots for every medical school and you need people to want you. If you have something else to sell, and can sell it well, than CC classes will matter less. But if you are closer to a traditional student, as in you just finished your degree and solely want to decrease costs, understand you are going up against a ton of people who don’t have CC classes and there isn’t a question whether they can handle university classes.